Boat Dogs

Noreaster603

I am sure this topic has been done at some on the underground but figured I would start one anyway. I have always wanted a GSD and we finally moved and have enough space for a pup so we got one. I spend about 85% of the time fishing solo early mornings or late nights but now I have a wing "girl" to roll with. So far she has been super impressive in the boat once she settles in from the excitement. Anyone else fish with their dog show them pics off! 

PS. Going to need a bigger boat for her eventually haha

alli boat 2.jpg

alli boat.jpg

alli fishing.jpg

22 minutes ago, Noreaster603 said:

@dean_d thank you! Maus is as well what a big boy. Does he just hang out off leash while you fish? Our puppy has to be tethered to me hahah hoping to get her to the point where she an be off leash and just hang.

Keep treats in your pocket and keep rewarding her for being by your side. Eventually she will learn to stay close. That’s what I did with my girl when I adopted her at 1. She didn’t do leashes unless we had to. Should be easier with a pup. 

Edited by FishNY

3 minutes ago, FishNY said:

Keep treats in your pocket and keep rewarding her for being by your side. Eventually she will learn to stay close. That’s what I did with my girl when I adopted her at 1. She didn’t do leashes unless we had to. Should be easier with a pup. 

Your pup was beautiful man, I am sorry for your loss. Losing a partner like that is definitely one of the toughest things to go through. I appreciate the advice I will definitely give it a shot. She finally walks like a normal dog on a leash instead of me pulling her around haha baby steps I guess.

40 minutes ago, Noreaster603 said:

@dean_d thank you! Maus is as well what a big boy. Does he just hang out off leash while you fish? Our puppy has to be tethered to me hahah hoping to get her to the point where she an be off leash and just hang.

He is pretty good off the leash, he's a 150 mush but I usually keep him leashed up because people are terrified of him until they realize he's as harmless as a gerbil lol

My knucklehead was a good boat dog as a pup but one day he decided that he needed to fetch what I was casting. Add that to him getting so big that he shifted  the boat enough to throw you over if you weren’t paying attention. He now watches the house while I’m out.

2D7047A4-0AA6-43A9-9BBC-6C41B639A457.jpeg

Attempted it only once. Had a yellow Lab that was absolutely obsessed with water, so just being on a boat was a feat in itself. First cast, she thinks I’m throwing something for her to retrieve and BOOM! She’s in the water barreling towards my bait. So from then on it was separate trips for fishing and the dog. 

Its dope to see how many folks actually get out with their dogs, its definitely nice having them out there but as @Kyle1387 and @VTGRADE-A said they start getting a bit curious of what your chucking and winding. The pup is growing fast, I am going to have to lobby for a bigger boat haha.

Nice dogs guys nothing better than having the four legged fur kids to hang with.