Filling Chips/Rash

browniez

This seemed to be the right place for this. What are some recommendations on filling chips and/or coating hook rash with an epoxy or similar?

I used 2k clear epoxy to fill a large chip of a resin bait once and it seemed to hold up. 

I have some resin baits that are accelerating in hook rash and are about to get to the point of changing the swim. I’d like to coat/fill these areas to provide a “wear” surface to stop the degradation of the bait itself. Any suggestions? Seems like it could be done pretty easily with careful application? Similar method to filling chips? 

Most of what I’ve found with the search function applies to Slammers? Does the lack of expansion/contraction of wood affect what you would use?

• 3 weeks later...

Just a heads ups on the baking soda/ca glue combo, its not bouyant so it could make your bait sink a bit faster (depending on how much needs to be used), but it does work as a good filler. 

Also, spreading/smearing Kwikwood over the rash works well for me too and keeps bouyancy, but doesnt look the prettiest on the sides of the bait. 

I appreciate all the feedback guys! 

I’m going to test out all these different methods on a few pieces of scrap wood in the garage before playing with it.

@biggfeast I appreciate that nugget of info on the buoyancy. I’m leaning that route. I fish a lot of heavier current and getting down is usually an advantage. I tend to upsize the hooks to achieve that so I can still work baits more aggressively. That also probably contributes to my baits rashing faster than some other guys.