Dumbest Mistake

WaterWolf44

What is the dumbest thing you have ever done to either miss a chance of hooking or landing a fish. Im sure I have others but the one that comes to mind is I saw a nice pike in about 4 feet of water. Instead of casting past the fish as logic would dictate I casted right on top of his head. The fish spooked and was gone

4 minutes ago, dean_d said:

Sees fish by over hang* 

"Nice" - casts diectly into over hang 

I love shore fishing

Ive had that happen. Usually followed by an expletive in one form or another.

Tried to boatflip an 8 pounder that still had WAYY to much fight in her. Snapped the rod and thought I lost her. Thank God she was pinned good, don't think ill ever get lucky like that again 

8 minutes ago, dominioncaster said:

I fish a lot of electric only lakes and spend a lot of time getting to specific spots. Way to often, I snag whatever structure I am fishing within the first few casts and blow the spot. Story of my life. 

A little tip for you that ive learned. maybe you already do this but when that happens to me I put the rod down and cast with my other rod. Its uncommon for me to catch a fish doing this but it puts my mind at ease knowing i tried before I blow up the spot retrieving the snag. Happens to all of us.

Night fishing in a bunch of flooded timber... no moon and can’t see shiii. The trees are all 20+ feet tall and somehow I managed to cast my wakebait over one of the tallest branches. Obviously couldn’t see it but could feel that the line was extremely high. Bait hit the water, fish eats it and I Start cranking out of instinct. The fish rises up higher and higher eventually getting stuck 20’ up in the tree. I sat there for a solid 2 minutes gathering my thoughts and I could not think of a plan. I started shaking  the bait and eventually the fish and bait both popped free. Moral of the story is don’t be stupid like me

1 hour ago, CaliBassin said:

Night fishing in a bunch of flooded timber... no moon and can’t see shiii. The trees are all 20+ feet tall and somehow I managed to cast my wakebait over one of the tallest branches. Obviously couldn’t see it but could feel that the line was extremely high. Bait hit the water, fish eats it and I Start cranking out of instinct. The fish rises up higher and higher eventually getting stuck 20’ up in the tree. I sat there for a solid 2 minutes gathering my thoughts and I could not think of a plan. I started shaking  the bait and eventually the fish and bait both popped free. Moral of the story is don’t be stupid like me

mine is a similar one and also why i hate lakes with docks on cables...  threw my baby wake a little too far one day and it went over a dock cable.  as my bait rises to come over the wire, a toad comes up and slams the bait!  i was so afraid of snapping the line on the cable i just attempted to reel it in  instead of setting the hook(????)  as the bait gets to the top of the cable it hinges and the fish flops back in and my bait soars over the cable right back towards me....  i seriously hate fishing lakes with those freaking cables!

but the one that haunts me the most is a big one i hooked into on a 8" freestyle trout.  i was in the kayak and when i set the hook, my hoodie got caught on a treble hook from a rod behind me.  i reached around to try and free myself really quickly and when i did i allowed just enough slack in the line that the fish just spit the bait back in my face and laughed as it went out of sight!  needless to say i've adjusted the crate/rods behind me to hopefully avoid that ever happening again!!

Shortly after I started throwing swimbaits, I hooked & fought what was likely a DD and like a imbecile attempted to slide her over the side of my jon boat. Lesson learned, I net every fish all the time so it's muscle memory. 

8 hours ago, GreenPig said:

Shortly after I started throwing swimbaits, I hooked & fought what was likely a DD and like a imbecile attempted to slide her over the side of my jon boat. Lesson learned, I net every fish all the time so it's muscle memory. 

Yeah thats a doozy. You only make that mistake once