Weighted Hooks

SDBayBassMan

Hey guys,

I have a question. I am planning to use my FS Shad and Hyper Herring in the salt. I am looking to get the baits to sink at a faster rate due to the fact that the salt water makes the ss more buoyant and has a much slower sink rate. I tried throwing both 3:16's with a tungsten weight in front of the bait, but it pulled the bait down at a weird angle. My other thought was maybe to tie a 2 oz weight ahead of a swivel w/ like a 50-60 lb fluoro leader so that way I could keep it down and retain its natural movement.

I also started looking into weighted hooks as an alternative. Do you guys have any suggestions on weighted hooks and sizes for the FS 6" Shad and the 7" Hyper Herring?

Any help would be much appreciated.

I wrap suspend strips or lead tape for golf clubs around the shank of the front treble this will weight the bait pretty even and still not hinder the tail action. It works on the arm, but i have tried slight adjustments to other 3:16 hardbaits that had a way bigger effect than i thought they would, so i guess the only way to find is try, but it should work and this allows you to change the fall rate by switching trebles, easy and quick

Problem with weighted hooks is it will take more effort to get the bait to swim right. That extra weight underneath the bait will cause it to swim tighter, and it wont rip as hard, as the hooks will no longer swing "free."

Carolina rigging it will allow you to fish how you want, while still retaining the natural swimming motion. I've carolina rigged the fs shad one time, got railed, and just never did it again.

Geoff

I wrap suspend strips or lead tape for golf clubs around the shank of the front treble this will weight the bait pretty even and still not hinder the tail action. It works on the arm, but i have tried slight adjustments to other 3:16 hardbaits that had a way bigger effect than i thought they would, so i guess the only way to find is try, but it should work and this allows you to change the fall rate by switching trebles, easy and quick

I decided to go with the suspend strips on my shad after reading a post from Ceaser a few months ago. I was having this problem because I fish 15-20 ft normally and the SS take too long to sink. Here is what i have done with the shad. Take a few of the suspend trips and wrap them around the top of the treble. I think I have 3 Storm suspend strips wrapped around each hook. The great thing is that my bait is now sinking ~1.5-2 ft/sec and still falling parallel like out of the box. Even with 3 strips attached their is plenty of room for a hook up.

Spoke with one of my buddies.. He also suggested buying soft lead wire, the same kind of wire they use to weight fly's with and wrap it around the top of the treble right below the split ring.

He set his up that way on his minnows and rigged up a weedless rising soon too and it appeared to work pretty wel.. Thanks for all of your input guys.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOFT-LEAD-WIRE- ... 416b17ec3e

Just picked that up off of ebay...

I decided to go with the suspend strips on my shad after reading a post from Ceaser a few months ago. I was having this problem because I fish 15-20 ft normally and the SS take too long to sink. Here is what i have done with the shad. Take a few of the suspend trips and wrap them around the top of the treble. I think I have 3 Storm suspend strips wrapped around each hook. The great thing is that my bait is now sinking ~1.5-2 ft/sec and still falling parallel like out of the box. Even with 3 strips attached their is plenty of room for a hook up.

good info! im very interested in trying storm suspend strips. do they hold onto the hook for a long time or fall off easy? so i know how many strips to order next time.