Loomis 966 vs 957

bigworm

Still looking to upgrade my arsenal. I know this has been discussed a little, but couldn't find a direct comparison. My question is, will the BBR966 throw the big baits like a SBR957 does? Or is it more similar in power to the SBR956? The price is substantially different, but I am more concerned about the overall performance.

I would mostly be using it for large hardbaits. So maybe the more parabolic would be good for hooking and landing fish? But on the cast, does a 966 have so much bend that it feels awkward? I messed around with a 957 on dry land, and loved the way it felt! Just trying to figure if i would be happy if a got a 966 instead.

The BBR's 964-966 have been around for a long time. They are designated back bounce rods originally designed for salmon fishing using heavy weights. I have had my 965 since 94 and its still my main stick for swimbaiting and for me there's something magic about how it loads up on a fish that I've never felt in other rods. My landing percentage is pretty high (better than 75%) and I attribute it largely to how this rod responds when a fish loads up on it. I feel like the rod almost does the work for me. Its a great general purpose swimbait rod for baits up to about 5 oz. I also have the 966 and it can cast some pretty big nasty baits but I find it to be a completely different animal in the way it responds to a fish. I find it extremely fast responding and almost overpowering. Kind of cold and sterile feeling compared to my 965. Besides the power differences I think the series has something to do with it...my 965 is a GL3 series...the 966's are GL2's.

I haven't tried the swimbait series from Loomis but I would simply recommend if possible try a few out. Again, its one thing in how the rod handles casting and retrieving but you really need to actually catch some fish to know if its right for you. Rod preferences get a lot of arguments and confusion because ultimately a lot of it is personal feel.

Thanks guys, that is what I wanted to hear, how the two compared. I know the 957 is the rod want. The 966 is such a good deal at TW! But I did not want to get it and then be dissapointed. Chris

You guys got me thinking....anyone made a comparison between the 965 and the 956...wow that almosts makes you dyslexic just looking at it. The rods are similarly priced....these two rods should be very comparable in terms of power....

JK

I've heard great things about the crucial XH too. I heard it's GGR's favorite rod for BA's. It would be sweet to have the trio of SBR's but I guess it is just not ment to be right now. Been trying to work out trade with someone local but not much luck. Dude only has one swimbait rod and its the 957, doesn't ever throw swimbaits more than a couple of casts. But because I want it he wants it more, talk about a poser!

The 966 is a good rod and if you can grab it at a decent price I think it would be a no brainer. That being said, I don't think the BBR are anywhere as sweet as the SWBR line. The 956 is a perfect match for 8" Hudds and the Freestyle Bass (perch) or Trout. The 957 throws the BA nicely but personally, I'd prefer a slightly longer handle. I believe I read that Butch throws Hudds on the 957. Of course my opinion will probably change once I get my hands on the LDCs I ordered. ;)