Roman made honest opinions

Connor C

Is investing in a Roman made a good idea? I know they are expensive and I haven’t seen a lot of hype around them. The actions don’t look like anything special but I’ve heard they have lots of drawing power. Would it be better investing in like a tk or a k9 instead? 

Don't get pulled into the hype. Not sure where you're at in the glidebaot category as far as experience but work your way up. Go with the gancraft/waver and learn them, then 250. Then if you truly want to spend 400+ on a baoit go for it. They work, but so do other baits

Edited by Kyle1387
Spelling

The only RM that I have fished is a Negotiator. It had a great glide and nice action overall but nothing that really blew me away vs comparable glides that I've fished from Phoney, KGB, Dockrat, and others. Just really getting into TK and K9 but I like billed baits like Toxics and love walking baits so these are more up my alley. Always here about the drawing power of a Mother but a KGB King is said to draw em in too and less expensive and more durable. But there are much more experienced users than myself on here. 

I personally love the nego. I own quite a few. This season they have been absolutely money for me when other glides weren’t getting bit. Is it just my water? Maybe. Is it just confidence? Probably. But I will say they have out fished my gancrafts, deps 175, wavers, and a few other randoms. I believe the gancraft is a phenomenon bait and still fish them, the wavers are always solid, and the deps has a lot of appeal. Is it worth it? That’s depending on you and your financial situation along with do you want to own one, or a buy a few different ones. I will say the one con to a Roman made is the durability. It will get dented and beat up just normal fishing it and it rashes a lot. If that bothers you, I would go with some of the other above mentioned baits. It is perfect coming out of the package and the glide and shimy are just perfect.  To me, the pros outweigh the cons. But that might be totally different to another person. 

Ive had a couple negotiators. I like them, and I still have one trout color, but they’re not my favorite small glide. 

I do have one mother in trout color and I love throwing it. That being said I’d also like to get a hinkle as a big trout glide too for winter/spring. Lately tho, my brother has been throwing his albino top hook mother along the tules and it does indeed draw them out. He’s been bit a few times this summer on it, but the 250 Ive been using has done better. 

that being said, I just in general enjoy throwing them, and I’m out there to enjoy myself to some extent so it’s a fun challenge. If you have some money to throw around then go ahead and give it a shot and see what you think, otherwise the 250 is my favorite glide. 

• 3 weeks later...

paint/clear coat sucks, horrible adhesion issues, and terrible peeling issues. 

wood doe snot appear to be sealed any exposed wood soaks in water 

the mother is sick, and the action/swim is crazy but thats big $$$ bait so depending on your area probably not something you need 

the lipped trick is nice and so is the lipless

nego is highly overrated, nothing that cant be achieved with a number of readily available less expensive baits 

Had a few Negos. I really like them for what they are. Personally I don’t feel they draw very big bites but they are hand made and I appreciate their quality. RM baits all rash up very quickly. That’s a real bummer however I’ve never had any swim issues or baits get water logged. You can get the same results or better for cheaper but again, hand carved..time... and hold their value if you need to sell. If you got the cash everyone should at least try em 

I just picked up a negiotator, they do rash quickly and have a different but unique glide. Ive heard they do have paint peek/flake issues but address them. I am happy with my purchase

RM makes some really good baits but as has already been said, the paint durability is not great.  A Negotiator has 7 screw eyes.  Before it ever hits the water I  seal around each with 2-part epoxy.  Then I seal around the tail with something more flexible like Goop.  That won't solve everything but it helps a lot.  If you get chips or cracks in the paint, let the bait dry out for a day and seal with something even if its just clear nail polish.

A lot of SU guys like baits with a lot of rash, but I'm not one of them.  Once I see where the hook rash pattern is I mix up some Envirotex and coat those areas.  I am amazed that RM hasn't improved their paint adhesion after all these years of making expensive baits.  

• 6 months later...

Romans are one of my favorite baits. The negotiator is not your typical "glide" most actually "glide" pretty poorly,  it excels as an erratic jerky glide

Sure the paint rashes and chips, some have pretty bad adhesion due to the wood preserver the baits areas soaked in prior to paint,  water penetrating and damaging the wood is low percentage of baits out in the world 

I'm happy to pay the premium price they command,  I'm confident in it and they have provided tons of good fish for me 

There is a RM retrieve video on YouTube that's worth watching

On 7/24/2020 at 6:42 PM, bravest67 said:

I personally love the nego. I own quite a few. This season they have been absolutely money for me when other glides weren’t getting bit. Is it just my water? Maybe. Is it just confidence? Probably. But I will say they have out fished my gancrafts, deps 175, wavers, and a few other randoms. I believe the gancraft is a phenomenon bait and still fish them, the wavers are always solid, and the deps has a lot of appeal. Is it worth it? That’s depending on you and your financial situation along with do you want to own one, or a buy a few different ones. I will say the one con to a Roman made is the durability. It will get dented and beat up just normal fishing it and it rashes a lot. If that bothers you, I would go with some of the other above mentioned baits. It is perfect coming out of the package and the glide and shimy are just perfect.  To me, the pros outweigh the cons. But that might be totally different to another person. 

In my opinion, if I’m gonna spend 400+ on a bait there shouldn’t be any cons but that’s just me haha