Triple trout

Julian S

When I first got mine I was kinda disappointed by it because it was not what I had expected. It rolls on it self when you twitch the rod tip which I have learned to love. I’ve done really well using it almost as a fluke near cover and also slow rolling it along rocks. You can burn it and kill it and it goes off to one side. I’ve enjoyed throwing the cut tail floater recently and you’ll have some super aggressive fish come out and nail it. An all around staple for me and I won’t ever not have one in my box

Its my experience that Triple Trout are a very unique bait and definitely a proven bait. Its a different action, kind of snake like swim. There's obviously different ways to fish them but burning them and pausing for a second and then go right back to burning has been the ticket for me. They catch, coast to coast

20200726_135813.jpg

Edited by Willluvstafish
messed up

I’ve had a 8”&10” ss models and heavy float 10”, never really gave em a solid chance cause they sank too fast for my liking and I did better on the slammer than the floater. 

I do want to give the floater/cut tail another shot especially for the night/sunrise bite 

• 2 weeks later...

They're excellent baits, go with a 8" slow sink which will allow you to fish it on the surface on a burn or high rod tip but also fish the middle column if needed. Funny you mention twitching the bait throws it on it's side, to combat this i point my rod to the bait and use the reel to give it a reaction jerk action which helps elimiate the side turn. I also tie directly and not to a split ring. I've been busting my arse trying to get barracuda, yellowtail or some salt game fish on them but it's tough!

On 8/3/2020 at 2:56 PM, El_Weruso said:

They're excellent baits, go with a 8" slow sink which will allow you to fish it on the surface on a burn or high rod tip but also fish the middle column if needed. Funny you mention twitching the bait throws it on it's side, to combat this i point my rod to the bait and use the reel to give it a reaction jerk action which helps elimiate the side turn. I also tie directly and not to a split ring. I've been busting my arse trying to get barracuda, yellowtail or some salt game fish on them but it's tough!

dude i’ve been trying to get a pelagic bite as well on my saltwater wounded solider with only one short strike from i assume was a calico. still trying though. the people on the cattle boats laugh when they see the bait. only a few deck hands recognize it. 

I have a few 8” slow sink. For me, they shine in the first part of summer. Burn, burn, kill it. Burn, burn, burn, kill it. Out in front of grass lines that are just below the surface. Or, submerged grass. When I kill it over submerged grass, is when I get the most violent bites. And I mean violent! They seem to come unglued on it. 

The above comments are correct. It does roll a little to one side when retrieved at more than an easy pace. Thumps quite hard on a brisk retrieve. As far as using like a fluke, I’ve tried it. Haven’t connected yet. Have had followers come out from 30+ feet away from docks and logs, in clear water. In fact, that’s the only time I have had success, is in clear water. Don’t get me wrong, I am sure PLENTY of people have had great success in dirty water. From slightly tannic, to stained, to chocolate milk. 

Just buying one, fishing the heck out of it, learning how the bait works with different rod/reel techniques is totally worth the money. Heck, even if you don’t catch fish. You can always turn around in a year and sell it on here. They do pretty well. Shoot, I’ll probably buy it off you.....

20 minutes ago, Jason30 said:

dude i’ve been trying to get a pelagic bite as well on my saltwater wounded solider with only one short strike from i assume was a calico. still trying though. the people on the cattle boats laugh when they see the bait. only a few deck hands recognize it. 

Haha yeah you can imagine the looks I got when I was fishing my 12" triple trout for the calico haha I think for the calico the 5" model will be best and the 6-8" for yellowtail when the bite is wide open and they're aggressive af

39 minutes ago, El_Weruso said:

Haha yeah you can imagine the looks I got when I was fishing my 12" triple trout for the calico haha I think for the calico the 5" model will be best and the 6-8" for yellowtail when the bite is wide open and they're aggressive af

ya i figured i need to get on a wide open bite to get a biter but  i’ve caught two large mouth on it so far so it’s not a virgin at least. lol

7" works better for me than the 8" did. Wanting to add a 10" and maybe an 8" stubby. They are killer summer and fall baits for me. BURN them over and around grass, points, laydowns, etc. Throw some pauses in your retrieve and hang on. The strikes are usually very aggressive.