Is eBay the new black market standard

bravest67

Been seeing more and more sellers trying to sell an item like an auction, stating they will leave it up for a day or two and sell it to the highest bidder.  Is this becoming the way of the black market? I personally instantly move past those cause of my beliefs how the black market should work.  And I’m sure someone will defend this by stating “it’s their bait, it’s their choice how the sell”, the same reasoning people give when they try to flip for a profit and I agree it’s their choice. I don’t call people out, I just pass it on by.  Same goes for the PM offers, i just pass on by, cause every time I message asking them “what do you actually want out this bait” they usually give me a response of “what’s your offer” or some stupid amount and I’ve always assumed they are screening the messages to get the top dollar and I’m just wanting to cut through the red tape.    Personally, I enjoy doing business with people that post a price and it’s a mad dash amongst people and the first one with the funds wins the race, or it’s something you’re looking for and you get it. 

I guess in the big scheme of things, it doesn’t really matter and I’ll keep doing what I do. Really just curious if this is going to be the new normal on the way people truly get the most top dollar possible?  Just interested to hear other people’s opinions either for or against it. 

6 minutes ago, castandblast said:

I get it as a seller, but as a buyer it can be very frustrating. In my mind if you want a certain amount for a bait, just say that. Buyers listing "PM offers" and then leaving messages on opened all day... 

That about exactly where I’m at with it.  Had it sent to me on a private message a few backs. Just responded with “no thanks not playing that game”.   And then today scrolling through I see one that says “gonna leave it open for “x” amount of time and the top bidder gets it” just made my mind go “hmmmm”

ebay is no good as a seller or buyer.  Seller the take away is at a extreme 13% and as a buyer you have to pay tax on everything including Int’l.  No winning hence the high prices, but it eliminates bitching.  Hey if an item is valued to the seller the price they list at is the price it takes for them to give up or sell the item.  Logical....

I'm with the OP - I don't do the make an offer game and will ask "how much do you want".  Most of the time I get a response that is high, but within reason.  Most people know what they want to get for their items but I think some are hesitant to put out a price because someone will get butthurt and complain about their asking price.  :roll:

12 minutes ago, swimbaitrookie said:

I'm with the OP - I don't do the make an offer game and will ask "how much do you want".  Most of the time I get a response that is high, but within reason.  Most people know what they want to get for their items but I think some are hesitant to put out a price because someone will get butthurt and complain about their asking price.  :roll:

Agree with this post completely. I’ve only had one that was way out on price, rest have been within “reason” or I just get the “what’s your offer?”  I do think some people don’t want to be bashed or hear complaints.

I also think most people know what they want for a price, and you see those that may over shoot it, lower the price with bumps and I can appreciate that.  It’s just the eBay type buying. But i also agree, to my knowledge, they aren’t breaking any rules of the underground, so it’s really just no harm no foul. 

Not as bad here as some other places but people dont post price because it can become a hammer fest. regardless of price in the end the guy either just wanted another bait or needed cash. I don't believe guys that are selling/flipping baits for cash are not in need of funds. Prob 85% of the times I sell, waffle a bait is because I need the money right at that moment. Underground is much more forgiving when it comes to the price bashing. Like it had been said, dont like price or method then just move on is best policy. 

@leachman90 agreed. I feel like underground comparatively is definitely a better format and more forgiving than some places.  I agree about the moving on, as the OP I was more or less just curious what other people’s thoughts were or if I was way off base.  People on here are more than welcome to sell baits for what they want and as far as I know, how they want. Just sucks cause some of the baits I really want but I’m not getting into a bidding war or going that high. I don’t need them that bad lol 

7 minutes ago, bravest67 said:

@leachman90 agreed. I feel like underground comparatively is definitely a better format and more forgiving than some places.  I agree about the moving on, as the OP I was more or less just curious what other people’s thoughts were or if I was way off base.  People on here are more than welcome to sell baits for what they want and as far as I know, how they want. Just sucks cause some of the baits I really want but I’m not getting into a bidding war or going that high. I don’t need them that bad lol 

I dont see it as a bidding war when sellers put "make offer" on their post. You arent in an active battle with others. If you send the seller a message offering "x" amount and they say ,no thanks ,then you know you haven't offered enough. If they send you a price back and its agreeable then you accept it. Its only when they agree to sell you the bait at "x" price and then pull out of the deal because they got a higher offer that its an issue. That isn't common on here though and that is all to do with the sellers integrity. Most here are honest but there will always be those who buck that trend. 

@SKSlide agree with you on that. My point is there are posting listed on the black market that clearly make it out to be a bidding war for a bait where the person has stated they will close the bidding in two days and give it to the highest bidder, like an eBay type format. 

if someone post “pm offers” and I pm them and they say no thanks, I don’t take anything personal for that as I usually offer the price that I am willing to pay. If it’s not in the same ball work then cool, it wasn’t meant to be. I do tend to stay away from the PM offers though but that’s just personal, nothing directed at anyone in particular. And people who are willing to pay top dollar to get a certain bait, I applaud them. Shows gumption and going after something they want. 

28 minutes ago, SKSlide said:

I dont see it as a bidding war when sellers put "make offer" on their post. You arent in an active battle with others. If you send the seller a message offering "x" amount and they say ,no thanks ,then you know you haven't offered enough. If they send you a price back and its agreeable then you accept it. Its only when they agree to sell you the bait at "x" price and then pull out of the deal because they got a higher offer that its an issue. That isn't common on here though and that is all to do with the sellers integrity. Most here are honest but there will always be those who buck that trend. 

100% agree