Cold-weather gloves

168 Rookie

Hey SU,

Finally gonna bite the bullet and get some cold weather fishing gloves, my hands just can't handle it anymore. Got a morning trip planned next Friday and weather's looking like 38 degrees at first light. Any recommendations? Not tryna break the bank, and I won't be fishing all winter as it freezes up here four four months or so. I'm looking for something comfortable down to, say, 35 degrees or so?  I've found two (KastKing and Palmyth), both around $30. Anyone had experience with either of these?

Thanks guys, God bless.

29 minutes ago, 185vsfrog said:

I use the Simms windbloc fingerless gloves.   They keep the main portion of your hands warm enough where your fingers don’t hurt too bad.  But I’m a west coast guy and it doesn’t get that cold in the winter. 

Thanks man, I'll check those too.

I've tried going the waterproof route, the insulated route and just never found something I liked....until I tried bargain bin dirt cheap fingerless fleece gloves. Go figure. If it's windy they're not perfect but otherwise I can fish above and around freezing. I might try some of those nicer fingerless wool gloves this year. 

When the mercury drops to or below freezing, I go with insulated, waterproof ski gloves. It takes a bit of practice thumbing the reel but if you dial up the resistance on the spool it can help.

Another thing to consider is your reel - if it has a metal frame and side plates it will get wickedly cold and your hand will get cold with it. A reel with composite side plates doesn’t get your hand as cold.

I don't use gloves much but do cut old merino wool and alpaca socks into wrist bands. Works great for keeping hands warm even tho you put them on wrists with jacket sleeves over em...also find a vest with fleece pockets, so good to warm hands. Have had to buy old eddie bauer ski vests which have em. 

Edited by bigpoppabass