Be careful out there

bassfiend72

I’m almost always fishing alone, and on the bank so I’ve had my fair share of sketchy situations. The best is probably the time I got stalked by a mountain lion. So I was fishing a cove right at the tail end of sunset. (Barely light enough to see) I look behind me and see a stump that looks like a mountain lion facing me.. I stare for about 3 minutes and it does not move at all. Still fairly positive that it looks like a mountain lion, I decide to throw a Couple rockS. Still does not twitch, so I tell myself, ahhh it’s just a stump.  A couple minutes later I Look back again and think to myself, “that stump looks alot like a mountain lion. So I decide to walk up to it and check it out. As I get probably 15-20 yards I see an ear twitch slightly. That’s when my heart dropped. I started walking backwards to grab my stuff and it’s basically pitch black by then and I have no light. My truck is on the complete other side of the cove and after probably 100 yards of walking backwards and keeping an eye on it, I told myself “Fck it I’m running” then I sprinted all the way back to my truck with some wet undies. :lol:

One night here in CO I was on a mission to catch some DD walleye and was fishing a lake that is known to be part of at least one mountain lion's territory, based on radio tracking the local fish and wildlife agency has done.  The lake was pretty low so there were 50 - 60 yds of exposed shoreline between me and the edge of the woods.  There wasn't any moon but there is always a fair bit of ambient light from the cities below, so you can see where you're walking, you just can't see what's walking around you.

It was a quiet, windless night so you could hear everything - the cars on the other side of the lake, people talking in a boat almost a mile away, and, unfortunately for me, something moving in the woods.  It sounded big, but then everything sounds big when it's dark, but I still found myself pausing my retrieve repeatedly to listen, and even took off my wool cap to try to not muffle my ears.  Whatever it was seemed to be getting closer.  I backed down towards the waters edge, and started trying to decide whether an 8" Hudd with ST-41s would be a suitable weapon if something came charging out of the woods towards me.  I was scanning the hillside continuously, but didn't want to flip on my headlamp quite yet, just in case whatever it was hadn't seen me (I know, I know, pretty much everything else out there as decent night vision, so it was a dumb idea).

I reached the waters edge, rod in hand, staring with saucer-like eyes up the dark hill.  Then I heard the noise of something, multiple somethings, coming out of the woods and starting down the rocky shore...pebbles were sliding and I could hear breathing.  I took a step back, a wet step back. My heart rate reached for new heights.  I flipped on my headlamp - dammit - it was on the low-powered red light setting - just enough light to show me vague outlines of something, somethings, coming down the bank towards me.  I fumbled frantically for the bright white light mode...and took another couple of steps back into the water.  Finally I got the light to switch to the high intensity spotlight and there, no more than 15 yds away, was a group of deer!  Their eyes were reflecting the light and I'm sure my eyes were reflecting my fright, and they seemed as startled as I was, because they turned and ran off down the bank.

I stepped out of the water and waited for my heart rate to return to something slower than a buzz.  And then my mind, always helpful, asked the question "why were the deer running down to the water's edge?  Hunted animals often run towards the water....what's chasing them?"  Back up went the heart rate and I started scanning the shoreline and treeline with my headlamp like a 5'11" tall lighthouse, while moving gingerly towards my truck.  Okay, I was about 3/4 of the way to a flat out run, but I'll call it a gingerly scramble. I never saw anything that night, but I will admit that once I got in the truck, I locked the doors, gunned the engine, flipped on the high beams and spun her around and around the parking lot expecting to spot the eyeshine of a mountain lion or two looking disappointed at the meal they'd just missed.

Another night, at the same lake, I worked my way down the bank, again right at the water's edge.  Fished for about an hour, didn't hear or see a thing.  On my way back to the truck, I fished along the bank again and came across a freshly killed, partially eaten fox, right on top of some of my boot prints from earlier that night.  Pucker factor!  WTF had killed and partially eaten a fox?  Once again, I became a 5'11" mobile lighthouse moving with serious intent for the safety of my truck.

I saw a dead body floating in the water one time while tubing. Not up close, maybe 50 yrds. Thought it was debris until cop car, ambulance and fire truck showed up. It was a dude that disappeared in the water few days earlier.

It's not a story for this thread but it made me very uncomfortable fishing that area for a while 

On 10/4/2020 at 7:27 PM, CaliBassin said:

I’m almost always fishing alone, and on the bank so I’ve had my fair share of sketchy situations. The best is probably the time I got stalked by a mountain lion. So I was fishing a cove right at the tail end of sunset. (Barely light enough to see) I look behind me and see a stump that looks like a mountain lion facing me.. I stare for about 3 minutes and it does not move at all. Still fairly positive that it looks like a mountain lion, I decide to throw a Couple rockS. Still does not twitch, so I tell myself, ahhh it’s just a stump.  A couple minutes later I Look back again and think to myself, “that stump looks alot like a mountain lion. So I decide to walk up to it and check it out. As I get probably 15-20 yards I see an ear twitch slightly. That’s when my heart dropped. I started walking backwards to grab my stuff and it’s basically pitch black by then and I have no light. My truck is on the complete other side of the cove and after probably 100 yards of walking backwards and keeping an eye on it, I told myself “Fck it I’m running” then I sprinted all the way back to my truck with some wet undies. :lol:

Sneaky little buggers they are.  Scary thing is to think how long they were watching us before we seen them.  Besides being stalked in the back country, I’ve also come face to face with a lion.  Two years ago I was solo, stripping flies for big browns an hour after sunset in a dark granite filled canyon in the Sierras. Don’t know how I forgot about this one, but it was a very similar experience.  I was maybe 20’ across the stream and only seen the eyes at first with my headlight.  After staring at it for what seemed like an hour, I tossed rocks right next to it and he didn’t budge.  Thought I was tripping and maybe the reflection was trash or lures in the willows, until I seen the dreaded blink.  That was the gnarliest starring competition I’ve ever been in. Needless to say, I packed my shiat and got outta there.  Not two minutes later, I had that feeling and looked back where I had just come from.  Sure enough the lion jumped the creek and was staring right at me again, this time maybe 120’ away.  It’s unsettling how they stop moving when you do.    Mannnnn, I hooted and hollered and kicked and screamed.  Took a ish and maybe a pee. And didn’t stop puckering till I made it back to the truck 1/4 mile away.

It’s about that time again when they start to migrate to lower elevations.  I’m actually going to the same exact spot in the Sierras at the end of the month to chase the big browns again.  Bowie knife and bear spray will be on the waders for sure. Be safe and stay smart out there!!  Here’s the only 2 photos I was able to get when I first saw it

EE42B691-884C-4686-9B8C-D904A0CCE517.jpeg

23B78751-3E16-4D2B-949C-0862267F6394.jpeg

BA2A956F-35B6-48A3-9D87-0C86ACBD3981.jpeg

I stay out way past dark a lot...always have my Kimber 45 and my dog Waylon(Chocolate Lab)...

A few months ago I was the last one getting back to the ramp around 2 AM. Beached the boat and as I was walking up the ramp a lady stumbled out of the bushes...She started saying “help...help me”... “They got me...”

It was hard to see and the first thing I thought was -classic set up...So I put my hand on my pistol and kept backing up towards the closest light- drawing her towards me and the only visible parking lot light.

I kept her talking until I could see good enough to feel safe-I quickly realized it was the real deal she was banged up pretty bad and her shirt was torn and she was missing a shoe -I could tell she had been crying and she really needed help.

She appeared to be around 40 and really disoriented...She looked like she was about to collapse so I held her up and Dialed 911 and the cops got there about 20 minutes later

She claimed she came to the parking lot and there was only one car there when she arrived around 1:30...she got on her phone and was shortly there after pulled from her car at gun point and robbed and beaten.

She ran into the woods but her car was stolen and she just hid until someone arrived

I guess I missed the action by about 15-20 minutes

She left in the ambulance and I never heard the rest...the cops were pretty cool.

They had a lot of stories of after dark action at the ramp but none like the one that night!

I love hearing these crazy stories!

On 10/12/2020 at 2:29 AM, bake and waker said:

Sneaky little buggers they are.  Scary thing is to think how long they were watching us before we seen them.  Besides being stalked in the back country, I’ve also come face to face with a lion.  Two years ago I was solo, stripping flies for big browns an hour after sunset in a dark granite filled canyon in the Sierras. Don’t know how I forgot about this one, but it was a very similar experience.  I was maybe 20’ across the stream and only seen the eyes at first with my headlight.  After staring at it for what seemed like an hour, I tossed rocks right next to it and he didn’t budge.  Thought I was tripping and maybe the reflection was trash or lures in the willows, until I seen the dreaded blink.  That was the gnarliest starring competition I’ve ever been in. Needless to say, I packed my shiat and got outta there.  Not two minutes later, I had that feeling and looked back where I had just come from.  Sure enough the lion jumped the creek and was staring right at me again, this time maybe 120’ away.  It’s unsettling how they stop moving when you do.    Mannnnn, I hooted and hollered and kicked and screamed.  Took a ish and maybe a pee. And didn’t stop puckering till I made it back to the truck 1/4 mile away.

It’s about that time again when they start to migrate to lower elevations.  I’m actually going to the same exact spot in the Sierras at the end of the month to chase the big browns again.  Bowie knife and bear spray will be on the waders for sure. Be safe and stay smart out there!!  Here’s the only 2 photos I was able to get when I first saw it

EE42B691-884C-4686-9B8C-D904A0CCE517.jpeg

23B78751-3E16-4D2B-949C-0862267F6394.jpeg

BA2A956F-35B6-48A3-9D87-0C86ACBD3981.jpeg

Gotta say that I'm also partial to stripping streamers for big browns, most often by day, sometimes at night.  I use big articulated streamers - essentially the fly-fishing equivalent of swimbaits.

IMG_6310.jpeg.5da32860333f69c0c7074c90130d7d08.jpeg

I've thought about bear spray on the waders and/or on the fishing backpack.  How do you mount your bear spray so that it's available but not in the way?

On 10/20/2020 at 1:29 PM, FishDr said:

Gotta say that I'm also partial to stripping streamers for big browns, most often by day, sometimes at night.  I use big articulated streamers - essentially the fly-fishing equivalent of swimbaits.

IMG_6310.jpeg.5da32860333f69c0c7074c90130d7d08.jpeg

I've thought about bear spray on the waders and/or on the fishing backpack.  How do you mount your bear spray so tha% it's available but not in the way?

Nice Brownie Doc!  Yellow streamers have been good to me the last few years.  Only a couple more weeks and my hands & guides will be frozen at 3PM.  Love me some articulated streamers, and yes,  essentially they are swimbaits.  I'm sure you know, but if not, check out the pattern literally called the "game changer".  As far as the bear spray, normally it comes with a holster w/ a belt loop that can be attached to most anything.  For me, it depends on the distance/location I'm hiking, the style of casting/fishing I'm doing and how I'm wearing the Simms sling pack.   If I'm using it as a hip pack, I run the straps through the belt loop and position the spray on the back side of my right hip (right handed), basically positioned where the pull cord would be on a parachute.  If I'm using it as a should sling I have the option of across the titties or on the hip again, but that depends on how I'm fishing.  If you wear a backpack, I've seen dudes connect vertically on the shoulder straps.  If you have spray that didn't come with a holster, check out any surplus store.  They got all kinds of tactical general purpose holsters that come with more straps than just the belt loop.  I'm sure you can find something that will be comfortable to you.  Also carabiner are great for more than just climbing.  Good luck bud and be safe out there, I hope you never have to use it!

I seen your in Colorado........send me some of that $2.00 late night happy hour Old Chicago Pizza lol.  I've probably been to 90% of the OC's out there.  I wish cali had them out here, even Arizona closed most of them down.

20 hours ago, bake and waker said:

Nice Brownie Doc!  Yellow streamers have been good to me the last few years.  Only a couple more weeks and my hands & guides will be frozen at 3PM.  Love me some articulated streamers, and yes,  essentially they are swimbaits.  I'm sure you know, but if not, check out the pattern literally called the "game changer".  As far as the bear spray, normally it comes with a holster w/ a belt loop that can be attached to most anything.  For me, it depends on the distance/location I'm hiking, the style of casting/fishing I'm doing and how I'm wearing the Simms sling pack.   If I'm using it as a hip pack, I run the straps through the belt loop and position the spray on the back side of my right hip (right handed), basically positioned where the pull cord would be on a parachute.  If I'm using it as a should sling I have the option of across the titties or on the hip again, but that depends on how I'm fishing.  If you wear a backpack, I've seen dudes connect vertically on the shoulder straps.  If you have spray that didn't come with a holster, check out any surplus store.  They got all kinds of tactical general purpose holsters that come with more straps than just the belt loop.  I'm sure you can find something that will be comfortable to you.  Also carabiner are great for more than just climbing.  Good luck bud and be safe out there, I hope you never have to use it!

I seen your in Colorado........send me some of that $2.00 late night happy hour Old Chicago Pizza lol.  I've probably been to 90% of the OC's out there.  I wish cali had them out here, even Arizona closed most of them down.

Thanks for the info -  I will definitely look into it.  There have been some nights when the hackles on the back of my neck stood up and even though my frantic scans with the flashlight didn't pick up any eye shine, I was 100% sure that something was watching me.  Having some kind of deterrent will definitely come in handy.  I normally run a shoulder bag when I'm swimbait fishing so I'll likely go for a belt holster, but when I'm throwing big articulated streamers, I normally rock a big FishPond backpack, and it has a couple of good attachment points on the shoulder straps, especially if I'm wading in knee to waist-deep water.

And yes, the Game Changers are pretty sick.  I personally am a fan of the big Double-Deceivers - their action is very similar to that of a glide bait, and so far this year the trout have been whacking them (an all-white version was deadly this past Saturday).

Old Chicago had a branch here in Fort Collins but they closed last year, I believe.  Good, cheap pizza for sure.