LDC XH or Dobyns 867

billthebasser

• 1 month later...
On 10/6/2020 at 4:16 PM, rwp said:

Be extremely cautious with the weight ratings on the Dobyns rods.

It's borderline dangerous what they are printing on the rods.

I ordered an 806 for 4-5 oz lures, (it's rated as 2-8oz) the first cast with a 2oz lure was scary. The rod wasn't even close to the power of my 1/2-2oz rated teramar.

I called Dobyns... "More than 2.5oz on the 806 will damage the rod over time."

He recommended the 908 for 5 oz lures, saying the 867 was ideal for 3-4oz. I have never owned the 867 or 908.

I disagree. I throw up to 4.5 on my 806 with ease. The 908 is not for 5 ounce lures. I haven't really heard anyone say this before. You are entitled to your opinion though. 

5 hours ago, japanesebassman said:

I disagree. I throw up to 4.5 on my 806 with ease. The 908 is not for 5 ounce lures. I haven't really heard anyone say this before. You are entitled to your opinion though. 

That's not my opinion. That's what dobyns told me when I called. I've never used the 908.

Can't beat the 867 in my opinion. I have two of them. One is from the introduction with the Kigan guides and the other is newer with the fuji guides. As for the reel seat issue on smaller reels you can make a reel foot shim using 1/2 in heat shrink tubing. very versatile, I throw the real prey shiner up to the 250 with mine and all in between.  One is set up with a toro beast 4:9/1 for cranking and the other has a WM60 7:5/1 on it for glides and other baits that don't have a lot of resistance. My avatar pic shows the OG 867 and a 7lb baby possum eater.

Edited by urbanhick

I had a Champ 806 for a short time. I had a really hard time throwing 2.7 to 3 oz treble hook baits. The rod would make flop casts with both of those baits. 

I was really surprised. I didn't expect that all especially throwing stuff that light. I thought I would be able to fish baits up to 4 oz at least.

The rod is very soft and parabolic. It obviously works for a lot of people, but it was a real problem for me because the upper 1/3 was too soft for me to make accurate casts around cover. 

I ended up going with the dobyns 867 because it was going to be mainly a hardbait rod. Paired it with a tranx 300hg. I am super pleased. It loads up extremely well on fish (put about 3 on it so far). I wouldn't use it has a softbait rod because I believe there are better options that will optimize your hookup/penetration levels because the 867 imo is too soft. It is doable with some of the smaller 8in hudds and 7-8in softs paired with braid but no bigger. Casting this thing is a dream loads up perfectly so it just slings anything in the 4 to 7oz range. It can throw above 7oz but its gets a little uncontrollable. I was throwing the 262 (6.9oz) 250 (6.0 the way Mines rigged) k9 (4.9) matts mag strong gill (4.1). Everything I threw felt very much in the sweet spot for this rod. I think under 4 the rod would be a little underpowered. throwing the 262 which is almost 7oz felt fine and I still had lots of control. It loaded up very well. the extra long handle is a huge plus (maybe a downside if your a yak guy). the quality of the rod is top notch and is equal too or maybe even better then my buddies ldc production series. Super light rod for its size as well. Hope this helps you guys that are on the fence.

Edited by MattGbaz

On 10/6/2020 at 10:56 PM, rwp said:

Again, just going by what dobyns told me.

That rod is rated 2-8oz. Highly doubt you'd get more than 5 casts out of an 806 with an 8 oz bait.

I tried it once, stopped at 2 casts. That’s a negatory on 8 oz and an 806.

2-4 is the sweet spot for that rod IMO