Phoenix bound in 2021

swimbaitrookie

I'll be relocating to Phoenix for anywhere from 8 months to 4 years starting in January.  I'm not sure how much time I'll have to fish and I'm debating on bringing my kayak with me,  Not knowing anything about the bass fishing there except that there's lakes on the Salt River chain and then lake Pleasant, what's the kayak bassin' scene like?  And if I decide to leave it behind, what's the bank fishing access like?

Lots and lots of Kayakers here in AZ.  Lakes are busy during the weekend with partiers, jet skis and wake/ski boats.  During the week, they are almost empty.  Pleasant has Stripers, Saguaro has stocked trout and monster bass, Canyon and Apache are some of the most beautiful lakes you will ever see with Desert Bighorn sheep hanging out on the canyon walls watching you fish.  Roosevelt, is hit or miss but they recently stocked Florida strain largemouth to replenish the lake.  Shore fishing is tough sometimes due to fluctuating water levels in the reservoirs, so I would definitely bring the kayak.  My home lake is Pleasant but it has been Lake Unpleasant recently and the only thing watching you fish there are the wild burro jackasses :D 

Edited by kraken
speling :D

On 11/5/2020 at 7:03 PM, StriperAddict said:

Im up in Vegas and if you wanna make a trip north to hit the colorado river and lake mohave for some striper hit me up. And get ready for the HEAT! Fishin in 110°+++ is um.... fun I guess

I'll do that.  Thanks! 

Hot is what you can expect! fishing has been off for me this year. It will depend on where exactly you end up in the Phoenix area, if you just want to catch fish head to Bartlett lake.

As mentioned above we had a golden algae bloom in the salt river lakes that hurt the fishing but you can still catch fish. January time frame usually for me tends to be hudd fishing.

In the Tucson area we have some smaller lakes that fish just fine. The bigger lakes in the Phoenix  area usually have a lot of boating traffic but can be fished with Kayak.

Just so you know the lakes here are pretty much deep clear with little to no structure...except rocks and boulders. We also have urban lakes in both the Phoenix and Tucson areas that can produce quite large bass. 

Send me a message if you have any questions or just want to go fishing. 

12 hours ago, azsouth said:

Hot is what you can expect! fishing has been off for me this year. It will depend on where exactly you end up in the Phoenix area, if you just want to catch fish head to Bartlett lake.

As mentioned above we had a golden algae bloom in the salt river lakes that hurt the fishing but you can still catch fish. January time frame usually for me tends to be hudd fishing.

In the Tucson area we have some smaller lakes that fish just fine. The bigger lakes in the Phoenix  area usually have a lot of boating traffic but can be fished with Kayak.

Just so you know the lakes here are pretty much deep clear with little to no structure...except rocks and boulders. We also have urban lakes in both the Phoenix and Tucson areas that can produce quite large bass. 

Send me a message if you have any questions or just want to go fishing. 

Thanks Stuart!  I'm in to cycling as well and have climbed Mt Lemmon and Graham so I'm sure to be in your area a few times.