First Hudd (8") ROF 5 or ROF 12?

webertime

So I am stepping up to the bigger end of swimbaits for this year. I have tons of smaller 6" baits and want to step up to the classic 8" Hudd. I realistically will not be using it much deeper than 12-14'. Would you go ROF 5 or ROF 12? I am aware of the differences in how they fall, etc., just not too sure which I should go with to start.

Thanks

I would personally get the ROF 5 because you have the option of fishing it in shallow water as well or if there are bad weeds you can stay above them a little better. You can always add weight to make it sink faster if you need it to get down to the bottom faster.

Very true. A little glue and a lead weight and you can have a ROF 12.

I would also include what type of bottom you are fishing. Weed, rock, wood, mud etc.

Ahh good point. 90% will be the softer weedier bays of Lake Champlain, there will be some rocks but there will be weeds all over/around them. I was leaning towards the 5, thank all

+1 on rof5

maybe a rof-0 modified to a rof-2.5 would be key

That's basically what I do. I take a ROF 0 and add some nail weights on the bottom near the head to get a bait that will stay above all the nasty weeds.

+2 on this...

I would also include what type of bottom you are fishing. Weed, rock, wood, mud etc.

Ahh good point. 90% will be the softer weedier bays of Lake Champlain, there will be some rocks but there will be weeds all over/around them. I was leaning towards the 5, thank all

From what little I can see on the maps I saw of Champlain it looks like you do have some deeper water up to 20 to 30+? Maybe more? idk , I couldn't find a good map really.

So now I will ask , Why are you fishing shallow weeds? I would fish outer weed lines with ROF 5 and deeper water away from the weeds if I could and fish bottom contour out and away with a ROF 12 . Even when I fish lakes with weeds most times I casting out (like always) to get the big ones. It works for me at all lakes so far, weeds or not. Even worked at the only lake I tried out of state, 1st time ever at lake Dardanelle, Must be something to it, so I think. But if you will fish nothing but weeds a lot of the time a weedless hudd rof 5 would be better without the open hook, or Top hook Rising Son ;)

Get a lure retriever too , if you don't have one. It will save you hundreds + in baits.

From what little I can see on the maps I saw of Champlain it looks like you do have some deeper water up to 20 to 30+? Maybe more? idk , I couldn't find a good map really.

So now I will ask , Why are you fishing shallow weeds? I would fish outer weed lines with ROF 5 and deeper water away from the weeds if I could and fish bottom contour out and away with a ROF 12 . Even when I fish lakes with weeds most times I casting out (like always) to get the big ones. It works for me at all lakes so far, weeds or not. Even worked at the only lake I tried out of state, 1st time ever at lake Dardanelle, Must be something to it, so I think. But if you will fish nothing but weeds a lot of the time a weedless hudd rof 5 would be better without the open hook, or Top hook Rising Son ;)

Get a lure retriever too , if you don't have one. It will save you hundreds + in baits.

Champlain is the largest "non-great lake" in the country, it has depths approaching 400', it's roughly 7 times the surface area of Clear Lake. It's not going to produce Cali sized bass, but the numbers and quality are outstanding (87 Smallies one day last May, all between 2-5.5lbs).

I'll be concentrating in the weedier shallows(out to about 12-15 feet) because on Champlain that's really where the BIG Largemouths are. If I go deeper than say 15 ft then it's mostly Smallies and Pike, while I have no doubt Pike would love an 8" Hudd, I have a hard time wrapping my head around a Smallie whacking an 8" Hudd or at least often enough to make it worth the time, and what few Largemouths that would be present would be outnumbered by Pike 10:1.

AND this place is windy, rediculously windy (trees grow tipping to the north because of the nearly constant south winds. That being said with a boat out in the deeper water I'd be rocking around a lot and I think trying to fish a big bait slow and deep with the wind pushing me 1-2.5 mph and the bow going up and down ~2 feet, seems like a lot of agrivation. Your technique is what we do with Keitechs over here, it's killer. I'll be adding other sizes/baits in that size down the line, just wanted one to start.

Thanks for the help guys!

Chris