Mainline question

bigesoxlures

Hello everyone, question about mainlines and swimbaits.

When throwing big lures, the muskie guys and euro pike guys use 80 to 100lb braid. This beefy mainline is so that lures dont get lost during a backladh and for that fish get quickly dragged into the net.

Meanwhile from what ive seen, you guys use 20 to 40lb mono depending on lure weight. As I understand, the extra strech of mono makes it easier for a fish to engulf a bait, is that correct?

What other advantages does a nylon or fluro mainline have?

Cheers for any info.

There’s lots of good stuff on here regarding line choices. Definitely use the search feature and you’ll probably find what you’re looking for. 

In my opinion, so many factors go into line. Water clarity, amount of money you’re willing to spend, treble hooks vs. jig style hooks, action of rod, etc. On top of that, I may use the same rod, reel and lure as another guy and prefer different line. I know this isn’t the answer you want but try some stuff out and see what works for you. Good luck man. 

I use straight mono 100% of the time. 20lb for baits up to about 3oz, 25lb for 3-8oz or so, and 30lb for baits 8-13oz. Big advantages are abrasion resistance is good, stretch helps keep from casting off expensive baits, helps fish suck in a bait, helps keep fish pinned on treble hooks, and helps prevent break offs on hard hooksets on close proximity. It’s also the cheapest of the lines typically so you can spool often and keep strong fresh line on all the time

I’m a braid guy but there are uses for mono when you are fishing up in the water column or tossing baits like the Roman made mother.  I would recommend heavy 80lbs braid to 25-35lbs fluoro leaders and just adjust your cast. With braid you can’t just go swinging for the fences and try to muscle it, you need to stay smooth and let the rod to the work. Look at the west coast offshore guys that are casting irons the majority of them are using braid to leaders. Most of the surface irons are between 2.5 & 4oz. 

Edited by Bassmann86

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's best go heavier with braid (minimum 65 lb). Anything less, and in my experience you start to snap off baits. 

With mono (or flouro) you can go pretty light. I've backlashed bomb casts with deps 250s on 20 lb mono. It was definitely scary, but its happened a couple of times and I've never lost the bait.