jrodgers762

good and bad. Compared to TE

The Good:

1. Colors are way better than the TE's

2. Drags are MUCH better

3. Reels are smaller (in width)

Thats about it.

The Bad:

1. Disengaging levelwind. (I like the TE much better for this)

2. This is where shimano screwed up. the left sideplate, yes it is slimmer than the TE. BUT, it is taller than the te and less comfortable. They could have made them very small like the trinidad series (i have all of em ;) and my 400D is about the same height as a trinidad 20A. but you will get used to it.

3. spool weights are inside the reel, no big deal unless you do not know how to remove three screws.

Thats it. So its a toss up. I prefer silver so, i converted all but one reel so far.

I have a 401 and just ordered another 401. At first I was turned off by the not so easy break access and now it doesn't affect me at all. With 30# Sufix Tritanium which is very similar in diameter to 30# CXX I've cast Hudd 68 ROF 5 40 plus yards and pitch them as far as I possibly would go.

I also have quite a few Trinidads (originals) and it does feel similar to the 20 although I haven't held that in a while. I actually prefer tall versus wide and why I never got a TE. Very comfortable reel to fish with and like I said, I ordered another one.

I understand the concern with the non disengaging level wind but same as the Pluton these spools are so narrow that I don't see it as an issue. Specially for bass but that's my take and it may concern others.

I haven't had the chance to fish with a Calcutta D but I wouldn't think the non disengaging level wind would be a big deal. I've seen side by side photos of the Calcutta 300D and the Curado 300 and the spool on the Calcutta is narrower than that of the Curado. The Curado

300 casts great without the non disengaging level wind so the Calcutta should as well. Making the spool slimmer seems as though it made the non disengaging level wind unnecessary.

I have fished the 300TE and the 300 and 400D. There have been no distance issues that I can tell between the D's and TE's, and my 300TE had bocas in it. The 300D is a little taller, but has not caused me any issues (I do have somewhat large hands though). The 400D actually palms a little better in my opinion, it seems to be a hair shorter in height. So far the 400D is my favorite of the reels I've fished.