Swimbait Newbie

bryand82487

I just recently got into throwing swimbaits and just got my first setup. I got a Loomis 955 paired with a Curado 300E. I've been throwing a 2 oz High Power Herring mostly but plan to expand soon. I haven't used my new rod and reel yet or spooled it up. I bought some Vanish 20lbs flouro for it but every line suggestion that I've seen on here so far is mono. So before I spool it up I just wanted to ask if this line would work for 2 to 3 oz baits or should I definitely go with mono?

Not a vanish fan, but you will definitely like throwing the HPH on fluoro if you want it to go a little deeper. I threw mine all last year on 20lb CXX and 15lb Big Game (I use mine higher in the water column).

If I had to pick one line to throw everything on, it would be CXX. That is my opinion.

Welcome to the Underground! I'm not a big fan of Vanish either. I don't have experience with the heavier Vanish lines, but the 6-10Lb range is absolute crap. I have broken off a lot of fish on this line. The Berkley 100% floro is a better line IMO. I have tried the CXX (25lb) too and broke off two punkers on the cast, so I'm not a big fan either. The CXX is smooth and casts good but in my experience, it nicks easy. I currently use Big Game and so far I haven't had any problems. It's a cheap line with good strength. This is just my experience and someone might have a different experience than mine.

I currently use Big Game...

I also use Big Game with zero complaints. I was a little leary at first but was forced to use it in a pinch one time. I haven't looked back. Flouro, whether in light or heavy pound breaking strengths can take some getting used to. ...and IMO is more hassle than it's worth. The only time I use flouro these days is for making leaders outta 80#. :lol:

Not a vanish fan, but you will definitely like throwing the HPH on fluoro if you want it to go a little deeper. I threw mine all last year on 20lb CXX and 15lb Big Game (I use mine higher in the water column).

If I had to pick one line to throw everything on, it would be CXX. That is my opinion.

i agree i personally dont like vanish i used mostly berkley products last year for my lines, switched to p-line this year and am glad i did, i have done well with seaguar also... but i have been using p-line CXX for my swimbait fishing in 20lb or even 17 a time or two, no real complaints that really get on my nerves, it can get coily sometimes but its not to bad.

I currently use Big Game...

I also use Big Game with zero complaints. I was a little leary at first but was forced to use it in a pinch one time. I haven't looked back. Flouro, whether in light or heavy pound breaking strengths can take some getting used to. ...and IMO is more hassle than it's worth. The only time I use flouro these days is for making leaders outta 80#. :lol:

Same here, Big Game mono

With Vanish both your swimbait and fish may vanish also. :lol: I use Fluro 90% of the time to throw my baits but use 25lb Seguar lines. The Vanish just doesn't compare to Seguar in quality and will not stand up well to swimbait fishing. Using braid or mono will keep the super slow sink HPH up near the surface while the fluro will allow the line and bait to sink at close to the same rate allowing the bait to be counted down and used like a jerkbait or fluke better since there will be less bow in the line as the bait sinks which gives better contact and feel of the bait. Like Speedbead said it also gets the bait a little deeper on a slow roll retreive as well. I use my super slow sink baits and slow sink mattlures hard bluegills most of the time in this size range and both of these do well with fluro because of the slower sink rates which is the main reason I choose fluro for that setup. When I go to larger baits I use mostly 25lb big game and for some topwater fishing I will use 65 to 80 lb braid.