Supertuning reels

dawg1419

Gears are polished, bearings are upgraded and money spent to cast light lures. Not exactly something that may apply here.

speak for yourself buddy! all my swimbait reels are supertuned :lol: by animalhouse

What are you casting and on what? Had the bearings upgraded to Boca OS 7s on both my Zs and Pluton and honestly didn't see a difference with lures over 1/2 oz. I'm getting 40 yards plus with baits 2 oz or heavier on the new Calcutta D stock. I guess you can squeeze more performance out of Swimbait reels but not sure how practical it is. At least for me.

Gears are polished, bearings are upgraded and money spent to cast light lures. Not exactly something that may apply here.

speak for yourself buddy! all my swimbait reels are supertuned :lol: by animalhouse

+1 definitely worth it in my opinion

Dawg,

I'll shoot you a pm when I get off work. I personally do it to every reel I own. It's improves performance of the reel on both casting and retrieving

Geoff

Sounds good just wanting discussion here for all to read. Seems like it comes up often and wanted to get a thread going for those less informed like me :lol: Thanks

Geoff just trying to sell you somethin.....J/K :lol: He knows his ish man, when he speaks(especially about reels), listen for sure. He has educated & hooked up most of us on here. I have yet to get one tuned by him, but I can already tell you that nobody else will touch my reels. Can't wait to get some Calcuttas tuned when he can take on some more reels :D

+1 definitely worth it in my opinion

+2 , I can feel a difference in performance.

I have had two of the same reel one out of the box and one tuned by Animal house and there is no comparison between the two. reel cast further and is smoother as well.

Thanks guys, but let's not turn this into an infomercial for me :lol:

Instead of PM'ing, i'll just throw some info out here. This is my way of doing/explaining and may not be everyone's view or practice. To each their own. This is what i've found works best for me and people's reels i work on through experience and trial and error.

Supertuning to me, first means ridding the reel of the factory greases and oils, and replacing them with higher end lubricants. Next is high speed sanding and smoothing, followed by high luster polishing of every friction point on the reel. This could mean more work on certain reels, etc. Few points of interest are the inside of the pinion gear, the spool shaft, spool ends, metal friction washers etc. After sanding and polishing, comes the upgrades. Spool bearings, drags, swaping bushings for bearings where applicable and prudent, ceramic pawls etc. After the finished product, strategically placed high end lubricants will allow the reel to both cast exceptionally better than stock, as well as have a much more refined feel to the retrieve. With swimbaits, it will allow you to reach the same distance with less effort, and get that extra bit of cast to reach places you couldn't before.

Supertuning will be most evident with mid range reels. Lower end reels will benefit, as well as high end reels, but the changes aren't as noticeable as the mid range stuff like Curados, Calcuttas, Lexas, etc. However, the Conquests supertuned are very tough to beat!

Hopefully that clears up some questions. Shoot me a PM if you need/want more info.

Geoff

Thanks guys, but let's not turn this into an infomercial for me :lol:

Instead of PM'ing, i'll just throw some info out here. This is my way of doing/explaining and may not be everyone's view or practice. To each their own. This is what i've found works best for me and people's reels i work on through experience and trial and error.

Supertuning to me, first means ridding the reel of the factory greases and oils, and replacing them with higher end lubricants. Next is high speed sanding and smoothing, followed by high luster polishing of every friction point on the reel. This could mean more work on certain reels, etc. Few points of interest are the inside of the pinion gear, the spool shaft, spool ends, metal friction washers etc. After sanding and polishing, comes the upgrades. Spool bearings, drags, swaping bushings for bearings where applicable and prudent, ceramic pawls etc. After the finished product, strategically placed high end lubricants will allow the reel to both cast exceptionally better than stock, as well as have a much more refined feel to the retrieve. With swimbaits, it will allow you to reach the same distance with less effort, and get that extra bit of cast to reach places you couldn't before.

Supertuning will be most evident with mid range reels. Lower end reels will benefit, as well as high end reels, but the changes aren't as noticeable as the mid range stuff like Curados, Calcuttas, Lexas, etc. However, the Conquests supertuned are very tough to beat!

Hopefully that clears up some questions. Shoot me a PM if you need/want more info.

Geoff

+1

Geoff's service, super tuning and upgrades has been on my five

JDM 400's, two Conquest 400's , three 400 TE's.

Try casting 7+ oz baits----ALL DAY. Not just couple hours, but 10 hrs.

Not just 30 yards across a pond--but full 80+ yrd casts. And out in hot

day light--ALL DAY, not just cool nights at 1AM...for couple hours.

Trust----You will feel the difference vs stock ;)

Preserved energy, less fatigue, more at-one with your swimbaits 8-)

~R

Super Tuning will allow one to cast a non aerodynamic bait 80 yards? I find that hard to believe. Super Tuning at best provides 10-15% improvement to a top of the line reel. Not saying one shouldn't clean their reels but I've found little improvement from flushing a new reel.

I don't see magical changes by Super Tuning a brand new Calcutta D. Yes, one could change all bushings to bearings and I'm considering that just because I like smooth cranking reels but that's not going to make that reel chuck a Hudd 80 yards. I'm getting close to 50 stock as it comes out of the box. As is, that's longer than I need and makes setting the hook more difficult with mono/copolymer. Braid would help but still doubt one would see 80 yards.

Polishing the gears could make a reel smoother and one seeking that would see benefit in such a service but claims of magically transforming a Calcutta into more than it already is sounds like snake medicine. I can see a Cardiff or Curado benefiting from such a service but not a Calcutta, Z2020, Ryoga or Pluton. Perhaps the Calcutta D can benefit from more bearings on paper but I'm not seeing the need during actual fishing.

I used to bow hunt, so I have a pretty good perception of 20-40 yards. Doubling the max on that seems unrealistic.