Reel Tech advice (curado 300e)

365swimbait

Happy New Year everyone. I have a curado 300e that i've been throwing swimbaits on for numerous years. I noticed after my most recent trip something wasn't right with the internals and I feel that it's time to swap out some parts. I service my own reels several times a year and after doing a full tear down, clean oil and grease, I still feel a distinctive kink or grind during a revolution of the handle, but the reel still casts like a dream. I know my drags need to be replaced, but I typically don't even use the drag because it's buttoned down anyway. I can rule out the bearings because those were swapped out early last year and they all seem to spin fine. 

Questions:

-What is your definition of a blown out reel?

-which parts do you typically replace after putting the reel through the ringer with years of swimbaiting? (I'm assuming the drive gear, pinion gear, roller clutch bearing and possibly the idle gear?)

I'm willing to swap out certain parts that don't need to be replaced just for good measure, but at the same time I don't want to do too much. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys. 

Edited by 365swimbait

27 minutes ago, MA Frog Man said:

Was the pinion bearing swapped out? Thats a possible problem. Bent spool shaft or a chipped/damaged gear tooth. Gear set for that reel is relatively cheap

Actually the pinon bearing wasn't swapped(do you personally put a drop of oil on this bearing?). So buying the gear set and the pinion gear bearing will do? I highly doubt its the spool shaft, but I'll inspect it. @MA Frog Man funny thing is the reel feels extremely smooth except when i have a swimbait in the water causing a bit draft is when i feel the kink or grind. 

Edited by 365swimbait

12 minutes ago, 365swimbait said:

Actually the pinon bearing wasn't swapped(do you personally put a drop of oil on this bearing?). So buying the gear set and the pinion gear bearing will do? I highly doubt its the spool shaft, but I'll inspect it. @MA Frog Man funny thing is the reel feels extremely smooth except when i have a swimbait in the water causing a bit draft is when i feel the kink or grind. 

I'd start with just the pinion bearing. You should be able to visually inspect the gear and pinion and see if there's any damage. If you order a pinion bearing straight from shimano it will come greased so I wouldn't put any oil in it. If its only a grind in 1 spot in the retrieve though thats usually a bent pinion gear/ bad gear set. But if you take out the pinion bearing it should be easy to see if its shot. Pinion bearing takes all the brunt of the spool especially if you run locked down drag

Edited by MA Frog Man

1 minute ago, MA Frog Man said:

I'd start with just the pinion bearing. You should be able to visually inspect the gear and pinion and see if there's any damage. If you order a pinion bearing straight from Shimano it will come greased so I wouldn't put any oil in it. If its only a grind in 1 spot in the retrieve though thats usually a bent pinion gear/ bad gear set. But if you take out the pinion bearing it should be easy to see if its shot

@MA Frog Man you're the man. Thanks

I had a smooth not a 300 reel which only had a crunchy sound when in use. We swapped out the bearing on the plate side.....I have owned about 5 300 reels and there has been some random variation in sound. My local dealer who knows Shimano cannot detect a problem.

Edited by bigpoppabass

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/6/2021 at 5:44 PM, thastickybandit said:

I had a daiwa do this to me and it was a bent spool pin. To my eye it didn’t look bent but when I put side by side to a new one it was noticeable 

My guess was bent spool pin or verifying the raceway and spool rim were both clean and not damaged