DRT K9 Rod

bassfiend72

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, BigSpirit said:

If you’re a dobyns fan the 836 Bullshad Rod throws it very well. I don’t particularly love that it’s 8’3” and it’s not a super light rod, but it does a great job with that bait. 

I agree. This was the last set up I was using. I felt the 806 was a bit soft to throw the K9. I am a fan of Dobyns Rods. I really was trying to get a Levante Leviathan. I was inly going to have one rod. 

Lots of dudes on the Leviathan staff use the Omega Heavy and the Daily rod for K9s- I’m getting a Daily in the next few days and I’ll let yall know how it handles the K9- same action as the Omega H so it should be pretty sweet. 

I’m a big fan of the medium heavy leviathan Omega for tossing the k9. For some it might feel too light but I feel I get more out of my casts. it also just loads really well in the hook-set and keeps em pinned. One interesting subject is what action for which mode. I only fish glide mode (b) so I couldn’t tell you if a lighter rod would not get enough chop from the dead walk. It would be an interesting question to ask some more experienced anglers in that field. 

4 hours ago, bassfiend72 said:

I agree. This was the last set up I was using. I felt the 806 was a bit soft to throw the K9. I am a fan of Dobyns Rods. I really was trying to get a Levante Leviathan. I was inly going to have one rod. 

Levante is a solid rod. K9 is right in the sweet spot in my opinion. Definitely got enough back bone for some smaller softies as well. Especially if you go braid to fluorocarbon. 

1 hour ago, AsaProch said:

I’m a big fan of the medium heavy leviathan Omega for tossing the k9. For some it might feel too light but I feel I get more out of my casts. it also just loads really well in the hook-set and keeps em pinned. One interesting subject is what action for which mode. I only fish glide mode (b) so I couldn’t tell you if a lighter rod would not get enough chop from the dead walk. It would be an interesting question to ask some more experienced anglers in that field. 

I second this- I’ve been throwing the K9 on the MH omega and it works fine. I wouldn’t wanna make it a dedicated K9 rod (that’s why I’m getting a H) but if you mainly throw 2- 3 oz glides and the k9  every once in a while the MH gets the job done. 

LDC MH for short casts H for bomb casts. i got a nfc 807 blank wrapped by Horizon Rod Works which been pretty sweet with the k9 class baits as well.