Slide Swimmer 250 observations?

colbypearson

Finally got my hands on one of the butch brown slide swimmers! I was curious what observations those who have been fishing the bait for a few months have noticed, retrieves, sink rates, interesting things, differences in tunes & weight placements, line and how it affects the bait, how the fish interact with the bait, follow to commit ratio, its productivity in various water clarities, light levels etc....

Not to over analyze I just want to hear about what others conclude about the baits!

Any insight would be awesome! I'm really excited to start fishing this bait, seems to have high potential for what I'm trying to do! lol.

one thing i do know is that when the fish hit it they t-bone the bait. thats what happens to me

Not always. While it does happen, I've had head shots, t bone hits, tail grabs, etc. No bite is the same. That's part of the reason it's a low percentage lure for landing big fish. My bite to land ratio is about 2:1.

Thanks to Robbie and Butch, I have been fishing slide swimmers for a couple of years now. The first year it seemed like every fish in the lake would come up and take a serious look at it- it was really fun, and also heartbreaking. I would definetly agree with AJ, I had a hell of a time keeping fish on. Propably more like 1 of 3 landed, and it was always the big ones that got away!! Should have had an 11+ but we didn't bring the net that day :evil: . Last year was a different story same couple of lakes and almost no play at all, barely ever even got followed at one lake in particular. Don't know what was up with that. The few I did get to bite stuck though, they were only 5-7lbers. My only success came in relatively clear to gin clear lakes and not until the water temp warmed up significantly. The retrieve, well that you will just have to figure out...

Personally I am going to be fishing my hudds and baitsmith's more than anything because when I get a big fish to hit I am much more likely to put that fish in the boat.

Thanks to Robbie and Butch, I have been fishing slide swimmers for a couple of years now. The first year it seemed like every fish in the lake would come up and take a serious look at it- it was really fun, and also heartbreaking. I would definetly agree with AJ, I had a hell of a time keeping fish on. Propably more like 1 of 3 landed, and it was always the big ones that got away!! Should have had an 11+ but we didn't bring the net that day :evil: . Last year was a different story same couple of lakes and almost no play at all, barely ever even got followed at one lake in particular. Don't know what was up with that. The few I did get to bite stuck though, they were only 5-7lbers. My only success came in relatively clear to gin clear lakes and not until the water temp warmed up significantly. The retrieve, well that you will just have to figure out...

Personally I am going to be fishing my hudds and baitsmith's more than anything because when I get a big fish to hit I am much more likely to put that fish in the boat.

I feel you man! I have had good success on glide baits, just curious about what the slide brings to the table versus other models. Sorry about your secret bait getting blown up Chris. Hopefully it will work at that one lake, but we'll see. If not there's one other place I have in mind that I know it will work.

I definetly can't call it my secret bait :lol: Not too worried about it getting blown out, unless you do it!! But honestly after last year, whatever, it is just another tool in the arsenal. Soft baits still kick ass over any hardbait hands down year round!!

I definetly can't call it my secret bait :lol: Not too worried about it getting blown out, unless you do it!! But honestly after last year, whatever, it is just another tool in the arsenal. Soft baits still kick ass over any hardbait hands down year round!!

And that is the truth.

Just wish magnums were more available....

Your the man BW...hope your stroking em!

have any of you had water get stuck inside the tail?

i was able to squeeze most of it out, but there's still some in there that just doesnt want to come out.

I'm not sure if it's supposed to but I have a few Slideswimmers in different sizes, and they all get water in the tail. It doesnt seem to affect anything negatively IMO. Maybe it's by design.

I went out to Castaic Lagoon a couple weeks ago with a fellow SU member and on our way out of the lake we noticed Butch Brown chucking his 250. I was surprised to see him just grinding on his reel....

I myself like a medium to fast retrieve.