Decoy Egg Snap Fail

MattGbaz

10 minutes ago, waynem said:

For the guys who think that a split ring at the line tie is unsafe consider this:  99% of our hard swimbaits have split rings connecting the hooks to the bait.  Yet somehow those split rings are to be trusted but not one at the line tie.  This make zero sense to me.

The split ring failing isn't the issue, its the split ring damaging the line at the knot if you tie directly to the split ring.

As far as snaps go, there is no reason to use one, ever. Forget losing a fish, why would you risk losing an expensive bait to save 5 seconds while swapping baits?

Tie a 300lb solid ring to your line and run an appropriately sized split ring on your bait. The connection will be stronger and more reliable than the best snap, and still significantly smaller.

This is a Spro prime snap (75lb) pictured next to a Spro power split (90lb) with a Decoy solid ring (300lb).

Carry a pair of split ring pliers in your pocket and keep a split ring on each bait. It will only take you a few seconds to swap baits.

IMG_20201223_223546843.jpg

2 hours ago, waynem said:

For the guys who think that a split ring at the line tie is unsafe consider this:  99% of our hard swimbaits have split rings connecting the hooks to the bait.  Yet somehow those split rings are to be trusted but not one at the line tie.  This make zero sense to me.

Couldn’t agree more. I think the only reason why people are nervous is because of the split section and the sharp edges but it’s easy to avoid tying onto that section anyways. I think as far as snaps go the only reason why I personally would use them over a split ring is to see if a bait gets more action with or without one. Definitely a good point to bring up though, why some people don’t trust splits for line ties but they use them for their hooks is besides me. 

Fishing at night, maintaining a no lights on rule not even to retie.  I've lost baits when i was running straight braid from them just slipping out of the splitring.  I've had knots chewed away from the ring also.  I primarily fish at night, so a solid ring seemed to be the best option for providing action and dealing with the issue at hand.  It's a very worry free way of fixing this, however it's just not applicable to most mass manufactured baits.  

Before you rush out to throw on a snap, splitring or solid on a bait.  Make sure the builder ok's it, sometimes more action isn't the best thing and you are just ruining the baits true potential.  

21 minutes ago, SacPig916 said:

Fishing at night, maintaining a no lights on rule not even to retie.  I've lost baits when i was running straight braid from them just slipping out of the splitring.  I've had knots chewed away from the ring also.  I primarily fish at night, so a solid ring seemed to be the best option for providing action and dealing with the issue at hand.  It's a very worry free way of fixing this, however it's just not applicable to most mass manufactured baits.  

Before you rush out to throw on a snap, splitring or solid on a bait.  Make sure the builder ok's it, sometimes more action isn't the best thing and you are just ruining the baits true potential.  

I can see why that solid ring makes a difference for you. that no lights rule is hardcore. I’d recommend a red light because it doesn’t affect eyes if you ever decide to break it. 

1 minute ago, Morgan Y said:

I can see why that solid ring makes a difference for you. that no lights rule is hardcore. I’d recommend a red light because it doesn’t affect eyes if you ever decide to break it. 

Fish can still see red just fine.  Plus I don't want anybody knowing where I am.  I learned to tie all my knots with my eyes closed, so the moon is just fine or a street lamp in the distance.   I only turn on my light to weigh 5+lb fish

• 1 month later...

I have a bunch of the Decoy egg snaps and realized that they might be strong when being pulled but if you take one and twist it they are quite weak.  So I could see it opening up.  I have some 5's that I was planning on using but not anymore!