Snapping off on hook set

prizmshallow

52 minutes ago, B_larkin3 said:

You gotta re tie more often, my buddies  are constantly snapping off on hook sets and it’s clearly because they haven’t tied a new knot. You have to constantly be checking your line up to 5 feet up from the knot to make sure there aren’t any abrasions or small cuts. I’ve been fishing big baits for years and never had a break off because I am religious about checking my line / re tying often. 

totally agree with you, I retie ever hour when fishing anything over 2 oz.

this latest break off was one the first cast of the night, it was crawling up a big rock wall so could have had started to fray I guess.  

2 hours ago, bassbass said:

Check your line and knot. If the line is breaking right at this moment there is something wrong.

If you set the hook and the fish brings you into the structure and then the line breaks you may need to go up on lb test. But with locked drag that should not be happening.

I think reeling down and setting is good.

Some guys set the hook like they are going to pull up a rooted tree. Not sure that is needed.

thats what im saying.. it feel like something it going wrong that can be avoided. I am going to buy another fresh set of line and see if I still have any issues. 

just seem odd to break off on a hook set a few times the past month, do you think loosening my drag a click or two would help? 

54 minutes ago, prizmshallow said:

this latest break off was one the first cast of the night, it was crawling up a big rock wall so could have had started to fray I guess.  

54 minutes ago, prizmshallow said:

That could definitely do it, I think the answer is 25 lb line. I throw almost everything on 25 lb now, and actually bump up to 30 lb for my 3-6 ounce baits 

5 hours ago, prizmshallow said:

thats what im saying.. it feel like something it going wrong that can be avoided. I am going to buy another fresh set of line and see if I still have any issues. 

just seem odd to break off on a hook set a few times the past month, do you think loosening my drag a click or two would help? 

Are you feeling the fish at all after setting the hook?

Changing the line after every trip is crazy, you spool a 300 or 400 size reel that should last a month or two with re tie after 2 to 3 hours, unless you feel something in the line.

Take your set up outside and bury the hook into a tree or something walk back about the same distance as your cast, reel down and set the hook hard. See what and where the break is, middle of line your line sucks, at the bait your knot sucks. And go from there.

if you're dragging the bottom the other issue could be the line tie on the bait. 

I had a citizen that the beast hook was chewed up from dragging it around rocks/structure, I only noticed when I went to retie and the knot popped like 4 times in a row, which never happens, i always tie a cinch knot (30lb mono) , took a look at the hook tie and it had a sharp edge in one spot. 

I've also had a spool of cxx that was old but never used/outside break on every knot i tied, thru that spool away immediately  

The other thing you could consider if using a heavier leader, maybe something like 30 - 40 lb fluoro or mono, especially if you find that the broken bit of line you're getting back shows signs of fraying.  That thicker leader will give you a bit more insurance, but you'll still want to retie fairly frequently.  When I'm fishing along rocky or hard structure and putting my baits in harm's way, I often will bump up to a section of 50-lb leader material and check it frequently during the trip.  You'd be surprised at how far up the line you can get fraying - it's not always right by the bait!

On 2/8/2021 at 2:32 PM, MattGbaz said:

I think the only way to fix this is to know whether the knot is breaking or the line. That will completely change how you go about this issue.

im a fan of the double sd jam I’d also give that a try

I use double sd jam for anything over 6 oz. You use it for everything? 

21 hours ago, bassbass said:

Are you feeling the fish at all after setting the hook?

Changing the line after every trip is crazy, you spool a 300 or 400 size reel that should last a month or two with re tie after 2 to 3 hours, unless you feel something in the line.

Take your set up outside and bury the hook into a tree or something walk back about the same distance as your cast, reel down and set the hook hard. See what and where the break is, middle of line your line sucks, at the bait your knot sucks. And go from there.

Yes had this happen 4 times over the past month of two, Two of which I watched the fish come up and spit the bait after. 

It tends to be the first crank right after the hookset/ or on the hookset it goes slack which makes me think its getting dragged across the structure. Not feeling more then a head shake or two before they pop off.

Also great advice on where to find the kink in the chain.

21 hours ago, chefchris said:

if you're dragging the bottom the other issue could be the line tie on the bait. 

I had a citizen that the beast hook was chewed up from dragging it around rocks/structure, I only noticed when I went to retie and the knot popped like 4 times in a row, which never happens, i always tie a cinch knot (30lb mono) , took a look at the hook tie and it had a sharp edge in one spot. 

I've also had a spool of cxx that was old but never used/outside break on every knot i tied, thru that spool away immediately  

Didn't even think of that, have had my knot move on the hook eye occasionally after a bad cast. 

Had no issues with the bulk spool of izorline thus far but have heard of these type of issues

20 hours ago, FishDr said:

The other thing you could consider if using a heavier leader, maybe something like 30 - 40 lb fluoro or mono, especially if you find that the broken bit of line you're getting back shows signs of fraying.  That thicker leader will give you a bit more insurance, but you'll still want to retie fairly frequently.  When I'm fishing along rocky or hard structure and putting my baits in harm's way, I often will bump up to a section of 50-lb leader material and check it frequently during the trip.  You'd be surprised at how far up the line you can get fraying - it's not always right by the bait!

I hear ya but its tough to get bit out here in this gin clear socal water with 50lb mono