Best Swimbait Kayak?

Jackon Gill

Any recommendations? Need one that’s stable to stand on for swimbaits and maybe punching and such. Also don’t want a long kayak but long enough to feel safe in the Gator infested waters of Orlando. What y’all using ? 

I have a Perception Pescador Pro 120 and it’s worked for the last few years, but looking to upgrade in the next year or two. I can stand up in it but fishing standing up gets a little sketchy. It’s 32.5” wide so if you want it to be stable id get something at least 34”. There are a lot of 10 footers out there that are wide, but if stability is your main need, definitely go 34”+ 

I'm using a Jackson Coosa HD and stand in mine nearly all the time but it's stand up and stay there, not like the videos you see of the guys walking up onto the nose of their yak.  When standing I make sure and keep my center of gravity over the center of the yak, and try and fish in front of me, not to the sides very far.  I haven't dumped yet but have come close when casting at an angle behind me and doing things like a violent hookset, on a stump  :eek:.   I'd like to try a Nucanoe next - those seem to be some of the widest, and more open cockpit designs.

I strongly recommend the use of an anchor trolley and a stake out pole with a 6' - 8' long tether rope.  My Jackson has a track in the stern for a chain anchor system and between that and the stake out pole I can hold position in nearly any water, any wind.  

The nucanoe f10 is really wide, but expensive.

I have the jackson bite angler. It's as wide if not wider inside the hull.

The old town sportsman 106 is another option, but side by side with the bite, I liked the bite better.

This what I fish out of. It's a Coleman Ram-X Scanoe, cost me three-hundred bucks and does everything I ask of it. I can stand in it, walk bow to stern, chuck it atop my car, store 9' rods in it, and beat the hell out of it. The only hurdle I've run into with it is carrying through the woods and a system for double anchoring it. still can't figure out the latter...

ano.jpg

I like that Scanoe...

I run a Nucanoe Frontier 12.  It doesn’t paddle as bad as you think it does. I have nothing on the deck in front of me, and I can stand up and walk around tip to tip and gunnel to gunnel. There is a crazy amount of space for a kayak and it is infinitely customizable, I just choose to have nothing on it. It weighs just north of 80 lbs with seat and is manageable to get on/off my 4Runner but I wouldn’t go carrying it on long hikes. I weigh 175 fwiw. 

I have a Nucanoe Pursuit. Really wish I got the F12 instead. Haven't put much time in on the pursuit yet though so my opinion may change once it warms up a little around here. Seems like a lot of guys run an F12 though and they do like them.

3 hours ago, Jon P said:

This what I fish out of. It's a Coleman Ram-X Scanoe, cost me three-hundred bucks and does everything I ask of it. I can stand in it, walk bow to stern, chuck it atop my car, store 9' rods in it, and beat the hell out of it. The only hurdle I've run into with it is carrying through the woods and a system for double anchoring it. still can't figure out the latter...

ano.jpg

that's cool and all but where's your 9" graph with side imaging, dual go-pros, 12v light system, and everything else I have on my yak mount?  :)

Seriously though, I have some pond that I could use the helloutta that on!

Don’t laugh, but I’m fishing out of the ozark pro angler 12(sun dolphin boss) and I absolutely love it! I built my own TM mount for about $23 and put on a 30lb minn Kota. I have a beefy 60ah vmaxx battery. I can stand and fish SUPER easy. I can do jumping jacks on the thing if I want. There’s so much room it’s absurd. I bring 7 rods and all the baits and gear I want. Has a very comfortable chair seat and dry storage. It paddles quite easily as well. My only big complaint of course is that it’s cheap plastic. I wore a hole in mine after just one season. Thinking of adding a gator guard to the bottom as a keel protector