Pet peeve

WaterWolf44

1 hour ago, WaterWolf44 said:

I just felt like going on a bit of a rant. Is it just me or do tackle companies have a shad fettish. My favorite  pattern and color is golden  shiner and I feel like it doesn't get the respect it deserves. I feel like there isn't enough shiner representation in the lure world swimmers in particular. I even have a hard time with spinnerbaits my go to lure not called a swimbait I know there's glides and all. I would kill to get one of Jason  vs fish shiners if he ever decides  to sell em.Beautiful  looking baits

shiners are an amazing color i agree. i found the Molix Glide has a shiner-type color. 7” 2.75oz 

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Molix_Glide_Bait_178_Slow_Sinking/descpage-MGBS.html

Here's a picture of the glittered up hudd. It caught me a 6-6 and a decent smallmouth that day. I definitely think the glitter helped, I could see pieces falling off after hitting structure, almost like the scales of a real baitfish. I stopped doing it because it's a huge hassle, but if you can figure out a more efficient way to do it, it's definitely something to look into

20190428_173527.jpg

20190502_152706.jpg

20190502_173011.jpg

20190502_183130.jpg

5 minutes ago, CG_Fishes said:

Here's a picture of the glittered up hudd. It caught me a 6-6 and a decent smallmouth that day. I definitely think the glitter helped, I could see pieces falling off after hitting structure, almost like the scales of a real baitfish. I stopped doing it because it's a huge hassle, but if you can figure out a more efficient way to do it, it's definitely something to look into

20190428_173527.jpg

20190502_152706.jpg

20190502_173011.jpg

20190502_183130.jpg

How about metallic  spray paint and a stencil 

17 minutes ago, WaterWolf44 said:

How about metallic  spray paint and a stencil 

That's a real good idea, definitely something worth trying!

14 minutes ago, WaterWolf44 said:

I just sold a sly guy shiner. And I have a river city shiner coming  in the mail. I know there's shiner glides but I'm a bigger fan of 3 or 4 piece swimmers 

Have you looked into the Savage Gear 4play, I know it's not exactly a shiner profile, but it has the color matched perfect

Its too bad the spro's aren't more metallic.

Though, now that I am looking at it..... a fishing net over a black bait and some gold metallic paint and you'll have a great golden shiner with a scale pattern.

spro-8in-floating-swim-bait-spr-0098-3.jpg

Edited by rwp

I completely agree. Shiner colors need to get more attention. I didn’t even know i had em in my lake until i snagged one and posted it here. I think the Flash Carp 250 does a pretty good job at imitating a shiner. Any generic silver shad/hitch type color should work well if you can’t find a shiner color. 

To be honest I've never seen a shad. I think they're a conspiracy between big tackle and the tournament folks to sell more sexy shad baits! 

but on a serious note; look at European Roach and Rudd patterned baits. Practically the same fish and much more popular than shiner baits in the states. Savage Gear has a great line-up of shiner looking baits for the European market,

1 minute ago, Jon P said:

To be honest I've never seen a shad. I think they're a conspiracy between big tackle and the tournament folks to sell more sexy shad baits! 

but on a serious note; look at European Roach and Rudd patterned baits. Practically the same fish and much more popular than shiner baits in the states. Savage Gear has a great line-up of shiner looking baits for the European market,

That's absolutely true I found a lot of good stuff in the European market

1 hour ago, WaterWolf44 said:

That's absolutely true I found a lot of good stuff in the European market

The Euro market has some crazy cool baits that just haven't taken hold over here yet, it's like Japan for pike anglers

46 minutes ago, CG_Fishes said:

I definitely gotta tap into it more, the shipping sucks though

Some of its pricey but some places you can get as low as 10 bucks shipping I use a place called happy angler. There out of the Netherlands or Scandinavia. $10 flat rate shipping   And their quick too