Short SB rod, who would be interested in something like this?

rwp

There's been a few threads and I have had a few people reach out. I will put one together if there's some interest in them.

I am not looking for any commitment for someone to buy one, just if a short rod would be something you would want.

If you are interested please let me know the following:

Length: Either 6' 6" or 7' 0" (this might fluctuate slightly, but which would you prefer).

Handle length: My normal rods are 18", I see no reason to go shorter, but let me know what you think.

Lure weight: 3-8oz is what I am thinking, there are already other short rods out there for lighter lures. Will probably have a 4-6oz sweet spot.

Action: This is probably limited to mod/fast or fast, and I think even the mod/fast will be on the faster side.

Thanks

Few of the details about the rod:

It will be in the 6'6 to 6'8 range (I don't have the blank in hand yet, so I am not 100% what the finished length will be after adding the grip and top guide)

3-8oz lure rating, moderate/fast action

16-18" rear grip length. I typically do 18", but depending how it feels at this length, I may shorten it up a bit.

It will be a split grip from black EVA, with a size 16 Fuji ECSM reel seat. The lock nut will be BC (dark grey corrosion control).

Guides will be rather large for a bass rod, but pretty standard for a salt water or musky rod. The blank has a very large diameter. Fuji Light KW guides in BC (dark grey corrosion control), and a Fuji MN top guide to match. The guides will have Alconite rings.

I won't be doing much decorative work on this one, black thread and possibly a silver trim band or three. I started working on the decals for it today. I have a few other rods to finish up before I start this one, but I expect to see the parts towards the end of the week.

Screenshot 2021-02-21 152847.png

The Fellas in Japan that make the Monka Lure also make some Rods to throw the Monka on that are 6’8” or 6’9”... I forgot the name of the Rod company right now. Also DRT has a Rod that is 7’3”.. “The Remix”, that is the rod I am trying to get ahold of, or one with the same specs. 

3 minutes ago, iFishLA said:

The Fellas in Japan that make the Monka Lure also make some Rods to throw the Monka on that are 6’8” or 6’9”... I forgot the name of the Rod company right now. Also DRT has a Rod that is 7’3”.. “The Remix”, that is the rod I am trying to get ahold of, or one with the same specs. 

I wonder what the action is like on it. I could do a 7'3 1-4oz, but not with the 75/25 split.

2 minutes ago, rwp said:

I wonder what the action is like on it. I could do a 7'3 1-4oz, but not with the 75/25 split.

I am not sure, but I know it’s made for throwing the smaller Swimbaits like I like to throw. Tiny Klash and such. 

On 2/19/2021 at 2:31 PM, rwp said:

There's been a few threads and I have had a few people reach out. I will put one together if there's some interest in them.

I am not looking for any commitment for someone to buy one, just if a short rod would be something you would want.

If you are interested please let me know the following:

Length: Either 6' 6" or 7' 0" (this might fluctuate slightly, but which would you prefer).

Handle length: My normal rods are 18", I see no reason to go shorter, but let me know what you think.

Lure weight: 3-8oz is what I am thinking, there are already other short rods out there for lighter lures. Will probably have a 4-6oz sweet spot.

Action: This is probably limited to mod/fast or fast, and I think even the mod/fast will be on the faster side.

Thanks

seems like a great rod for close quarters like docks, overhanging trees, any sort of “sniping” your bait into a spot.

• 3 weeks later...

I’m resurrecting this - I got the Short Stack on my porch yesterday- First off, Ryan is about as thoughtful and communicative guy as you can have building a rod or really doing anything else for you. We talked through every step so that we were on the same page with each detail of the rod. It’s the details and care that really speak to the passion of the craftsman for his craft. 6’8” Swimbait did you ask? Yes please! I started with a TK this afternoon just to make sure I didn’t miss any eyelets and that I hadn’t nicked the fresh 20 lb CXX. I could work that TK just like a jerk bait - really great sensitivity in this rod. Next up,  3:16 Freestyle Shad in the 3 oz range. It really shined with this, fishing the Shad almost like a spinner bait around nearshore cover. There’s that little bit of mod in the action that makes it cast great but let you pop the bait around cover. Rolling up the weight chain to around 4.5 oz with the Gillrilla - casts like a dream. No reduction in distance over my LDC heavy. The shorter rod was actually easier to work tip down than its longer cousins with the glide.  Sadly, a couple follows on the Rilla and I was ruined on the rod test by actually trying to catch fish...

This is and will be my favorite rod - its weight range is 3-8 oz and I have no doubt it would have handled every bit of that range. I will definitely get out with a 250 and possum with it to see the higher end of the weight range, but no doubts about those. None.  The primary/secondary flex on this blank has to be experienced to be believed- it really is an extremely versatile rod.

Ryan is great and his work is second to none (and the dude abides...). The build is clean and he thinks through every step and detail, and executes the build utterly flawlessly. I could not recommend this rod or Ryan’s work any more highly. 

1 hour ago, Volfan said:

I’m resurrecting this - I got the Short Stack on my porch yesterday- First off, Ryan is about as thoughtful and communicative guy as you can have building a rod or really doing anything else for you. We talked through every step so that we were on the same page with each detail of the rod. It’s the details and care that really speak to the passion of the craftsman for his craft. 6’8” Swimbait did you ask? Yes please! I started with a TK this afternoon just to make sure I didn’t miss any eyelets and that I hadn’t nicked the fresh 20 lb CXX. I could work that TK just like a jerk bait - really great sensitivity in this rod. Next up,  3:16 Freestyle Shad in the 3 oz range. It really shined with this, fishing the Shad almost like a spinner bait around nearshore cover. There’s that little bit of mod in the action that makes it cast great but let you pop the bait around cover. Rolling up the weight chain to around 4.5 oz with the Gillrilla - casts like a dream. No reduction in distance over my LDC heavy. The shorter rod was actually easier to work tip down than its longer cousins with the glide.  Sadly, a couple follows on the Rilla and I was ruined on the rod test by actually trying to catch fish...

This is and will be my favorite rod - its weight range is 3-8 oz and I have no doubt it would have handled every bit of that range. I will definitely get out with a 250 and possum with it to see the higher end of the weight range, but no doubts about those. None.  The primary/secondary flex on this blank has to be experienced to be believed- it really is an extremely versatile rod.

Ryan is great and his work is second to none (and the dude abides...). The build is clean and he thinks through every step and detail, and executes the build utterly flawlessly. I could not recommend this rod or Ryan’s work any more highly. 

Super pleased with my 8' 1-5oz build also. If you want to pick and choose your parts and pieces and be involved rather than wait months for what you hope is "going" to show up hit this fella up. 

I have nothing but good words about him and his thread work! Not sure the thread work is on yours but post a pic @Volfan

PXL_20210309_010053469.jpg