Bait Copies

t_huff99

Idk if this has already been discussed here but this Texas Swimbaits looks to oddly close to the Sly Guy gills. Kinda crazy how many people are getting copied out there. The Texas swimbaits looks like it just got molded directly off the Sly.

BE20F0D1-88B3-4289-9B74-E4EC87D62DA2.jpeg

68469A45-0F0E-438B-A5DF-DB6FF495FD97.jpeg

1 minute ago, Volfan said:

I don’t think those are that similar- look at the contour at the joint and at the tail and fins. There’s only so many bluegill-shaped bluegills out there.

I mean honestly it looks like just a really poor job of trying to copy it. Just like fins are almost identical. The joint and bill angle I would say are the only things that differ.

9 minutes ago, B_larkin3 said:

Sly molds actual fish for his baits. This guy probably did the same thing. Of course they’d look similar. And sly isn’t the first guy to make a two pieced bluegill with a lip. 

Fair enough

The problem I have is this. You have hundreds of bait makers. Some are just trying to create a specific action for a lure type, I can understand where there are cases of clear copying. But then you have the guys that either straight up molded a real fish or are doing their best to copy a real fish directly. Of course they're going to be similar, they're basing it off the same thing. You can't claim uniqueness if your goal is basically to slap hook on a piece of taxidermy. That's an over simplification and I'm not taking anything away from these amazing bait makers. But the reason sly is so good is he has an amazing skill in painting and the lures swim well. But there's nothing intrinsically unique about what he does IMO. He's just the best at it. Should he be the only one allowed to mold and paint baits like real fish? Not trying to start anything I'm just curious what specifically people have an issue with. 

Edited by NEbucketmouth19

There are lots of baits out there that are similar. Take the Wades Hogg, Steve’s Two Faced Gill, and the Pyscho Gill. They all pretty much look the same and have the same specs pretty much, but they all have their fan base. I don’t think there is a way to be 100% original when it comes to making fishing lures. It’s always been like that forever. Take the whopper plopper for example, there are many different companies making a similar bait now. Just be prepared if you make a bait, to have somebody say it looks like someone else’s. It happens to the best of ‘em.