Bite-Sized Shad

danthefisherman

15 hours ago, azsouth said:

Sweet bait! I say after all that work you should do both resin and soft.

Thanks brother! Definitely gonna experiment with both

5 hours ago, lumpy said:

Great work..  looks like another winner

Thank you, sir!

3 hours ago, Grizzn n bassin said:

nice job man ,  great detail on those scales !

Thanks! Hoping they translate well with my mold haha

1 hour ago, SVT THUNDER said:

That’s absolutely up there with some of the cleanest carving I’ve ever seen. Looking forward to your future progress with this bait. 

Thank you kindly! Not as clean as I'd like if I zoom in a bit haha, but I tell myself it looks more natural this way :D

49 minutes ago, JustBassinAround916 said:

Awesome work! I wpuld smash them at my spots if that was a glide!

A "glide" is definitely a priority, although I doubt I will be able to tune it to achieve much side to side distance. I'd expect more of a twitch bait over a glide.

37 minutes ago, Socalswimbait said:

You’ll get it. But as you said, so little room to work with. Little time and I’m sure you’ll have it moving properly and sticking fish. Had to take out my blank to look at it again and wonder what if.......hahahaha

7DD1D246-1CBB-4CE9-BE03-13FF2C415E75.jpeg

That looks great! I tried to leave as much material as possible on mine because I knew I'd have issues with the ballast/ballance. I won't mind (and maybe even will prefer) a little body roll so long as the bait won't roll over too easily or foul on the line.

3 hours ago, chefchris said:

i need to win the lottery so I can support you and your brother to just make baits!

you guys are always tweaking/perfecting all your baits man. 

Haha thanks Chris, much appreciated...always learning and always improving. Hopefully I can get this little thing going as a soft bait as well as a hard bait. Gotta put that expensive fancy injector to more use.

1 hour ago, Rogervang said:

Or just send me a blank and I'll tune the wake. Hahaha jk

I'm just hoping this little thing will float with all the hardware added haha. A wake version would be awesome to throw at some schoolie striper!

• 3 weeks later...

First time out testing the new shad prototype and got whacked by this little chunker. I love it when that happens! Also that rare feeling of accomplishment when the first guinea pig out of the mold performs a lot better than expected :D

20210326_084122-01.thumb.jpeg.e1d454cb2a49df50a18b0ed90a1d35cc.jpeg

My first pour turned out pretty great as a two piece mini glide/twitch bait. It's a very responsive bait that swims a tight "s" on a steady retrieve and will perform short glides on a controlled pump or dart to and fro with erratic twitches of the rod. As anticipated, the hardware is a lot for such a small bait. Hook placement was tricky and I was only able to add limited ballast, but the result was to my liking and proved to be surprisingly stable even on faster retrieves. The bait sinks fairly quickly which helps me keep the bait down when I want to fish it deeper. I'll have to get some video of it in the water it's a pretty neat little lure. Overall I am very happy with the first try which is rare for me.

Is it cheating to use a swimbait this small? Is this even considered a swimbait? All I know is this little bait is going to do some major damage in my future fishing endeavors and save me from many a skunk. I'm excited to put it in front of more fish and see what improvements I can make.