MS Slammers: What works best for you?

SVT THUNDER

10 minutes ago, SVT THUNDER said:

Just curious how others fish their Slammers with the most success....Wake or crackdown?

Wake it and crank it on the same cast, you'll get bit. Couldn't tell you how many I've caught either waking or cranking over the years, but the fish will tell you how they want it that given day. That's what's great about most Slammers, you can do both on one bait.

Edited by thebeardedbassman

depends on the bait a lot, ive had some that cant crankdown at all and others that get down 2'. 

i usually will make one cast as a wake retrieve and the second cast in the same area as a crankdown, i cant even recall how many times thats worked, especially cranking it down around structure 

most of my slammer fish are wake bites as thats how i want to fish it. 

Mines a 9” Slammer in the Shad color. Single joint. I’ve had it for at least 3 years. It wakes great. It cranks down great. It runs true. But I’ve never caught a single bass waking it. It’s always puzzled me. That subtle tail splashing sound and the light wood knocking while leaving that huge wake....Every cast when I’m waking it in, it just always feels like one should blow up on it anytime. But it’s just never happened. You guys have given me some great advice above. I’ll have all of that in mind next time I throw it. Much appreciated. 

@WUMFL

For me I have had most of my success waking the 9 inch but I have also had action cranking down a foot or two. I would try both and see what kind of mood they’re in. I know some people who crank it down almost exclusively but I have the most confidence as a wake.

Edited by LightsOutLitch