Antares MD DC Issues

JCW VA

I recently purchased my first DC reel, a 2018 Antares DC MD XG, for fishing small to medium glides (1.5 - 4 oz.).  I figured it would be a great tool for throwing smaller baits that tend to helicopter, but I was not expecting it to be so much fun to fish.  It has pretty much sidelined my conquests and tranx for the last couple of months. 

A couple of weeks ago it started to develop a very slight "geary" feel while cranking.  I immediately broke it open to check the bearings and gears.  All of the bearings were smooth and there was no obvious damage to the main gear or pinion gear.  The factory grease around the pinion was dark/dirty, but I have seen much worse with no adverse affects.  After cleaning out the factory grease, I relubed the gears, which appeared to have resolved the issue.  Unfortunately, the issue returned after 15 minutes of fishing and continued to get worse. 

The factory pinion bearings are sealed, and I couldn't get to the internals, so I swapped those out to see if that helped.  No improvement.  Then I removed, flushed, and relubed the bearing under the main gear.  No improvement.  With the sideplate off and pinion gear removed, I rotated the main gear to see if I could feel anything unusual.  There is a slight hiccup every 1/4 turn or so of the main gear, which leads me to believe that there could be an issue with the idle gear (maybe a hairline crack?) or the line guide pawl.  There is no obvious damage to either, but I image that even the smallest crack or burr could be an issue.  Does anyone know if these are standard parts that are compatible with US parts?  Since this is a JDM reel, the schematics are in Japanese and the part numbers do not match the Shimano USA parts catalog. 

Has anyone else had similar issues?  If so, any suggestions?  

If I can't get this resolved soon, then I will be looking for someone who can repair it for me.  Any suggestions for someone who will do a good job and turn it around quickly.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. 

I've been to seeing for a bit with some reels for buddies.

Check the line pawl. I had a tatula that wouldn't engage every so often and also get hung up. For a $3 part it causes weird symptoms!

Also if you clean your bearings don't put grease in them. Just a single drop of good oil! Spend the time to clean them thoroughly (acetone/alcohol/etc)

Tagging in @MA Frog Man since he is the OG with reels!

Jinxd12 - Thanks for the reply. I am not seeing any visible damage to the line pawl but definitely would like to eliminate that as a potential concern.

Does anyone know if Shimano line pawls are all the same?  If so, I could swap that out easily.  Like I said previously, I am having trouble with finding parts, as the schematic is in Japanese.  

In regards to the bearings, they were thoroughly cleaned with acetone in an ultrasonic cleaner and were spinning like new.  I use light grease on only the frame bearings.  Spool bearings receive a single drop of high speed reel oil.

I had a similar issue . I have had no problem throwing my tk with my Anteras. I threw my rat on it and I heard a rough sound rather than the normal wiz. After 10 cast or so it cleared out. I have only experienced this sound when I throw a big wake. I am not sure if a larger wake put to much pressure on the reel. Any information would help. 

You swapped the main pinion bearing and the xship bearing out for new bearings correct? That xshit bearing is very finicky. Next bearing I'd  check is the inside spool bearing. That bearing sees alot of pressure when retrieving..  alot of bearings will spin free when flushed but become grindy when pressure is applied.. I doubt its anything with the pawl/levelwind. I'd also check to make sure the DC isn't damaged or have any cuts in it. I've seen guys leave tag ends/knots from tying the line to the spool and it rubs on the rubber and makes noise

Edited by MA Frog Man

Don’t forget to rule out damaged line and rod guides. Years ago I had I a bad guide that frayed my line causing that grindy/ rough feeling as line went thru guides while turning the handle. I swore it was my reel, took it apart several times until I found the line the issue. Good luck 

keep us posted

Thank you to all who have responded!

mjgrunt - It is still casting like brand new.  The grinding only occurs on the retrieve.

MA Frog Man - I suspect that you are correct about the bearings performing differently under load.  I replaced the pinion and xship bearings with some practically new factory bearings from another reel that was upgraded, so hopefully those are not an issue.  All other bearings were flushed and spun freely before reinstalling, but the grinding has not improved.  I have a full set of new Boca bearings in the mail, so I will know if it is a bearing once I swap them all.  One thing that I forgot to mention is that the grinding is present when spinning the handle with no line on the spool.  I don't know if the load of the spool alone is enough to cause the grinding or if this suggests an issue with the gears.  Any thoughts?

ROBERTR -  I have checked the line and rod guides, and there are no issues there.

IT'S THE GEARS.

I had similar issues with my first Antares DC MD. It was kind of geary right out of the box, but after only 3 outings, it became quite rough. New reel bought from Digitaka. No cleaning and relubing improved the gears.

The rough retrieve went away only after replacing the gears with a new set ordered from Shimano Japan. These gears were smoother and they still are, but after a few months, they also because a little on the grindy side.

I only used 20 lbs. FC Sniper fluorocarbon line on this reel, I almost exclusively fish with fc lines except for the big bait rods, where I use other types of monofilament lines (Sunline Queenstar).

Now I'm on my second DC MD, which is still new. I swapped the grease inside with other type - bought no less than 6 types from different manufacturers. After some tests, the smoothest retrieve is obtained by using Lew's Super Duty casting reel grease made in coop with Lucas Oil.

The other grease that I'm testing now is Shimano's Permalub Grease, that feels better than any other Shimano grease in the newer DC MD.

I don't know why this happens, but it looks like Shimano has clearly skimped on quality gears of the Antares DC MD XG.

Edited by AndZ

Have you removed the anti-reverse clutch bearing and inspected it? I don’t have an Antares DC-MD, but had a curado DC with similar symptoms to what you’re describing. Upon disassembly it was in fact the anti reverse bearing. It’s happened one more time since the initial replacement so now I just keep a few of them at home.

53 minutes ago, AndZ said:

IT'S THE GEARS.

I had similar issues with my first Antares DC MD. It was kind of geary right out of the box, but after only 3 outings, it became quite rough. New reel bought from Digitaka. No cleaning and relubing improved the gears.

The rough retrieve went away only after replacing the gears with a new set ordered from Shimano Japan. These gears were smoother and they still are, but after a few months, they also because a little on the grindy side.

I only used 20 lbs. FC Sniper fluorocarbon line on this reel, I almost exclusively fish with fc lines except for the big bait rods, where I use other types of monofilament lines (Sunline Queenstar).

Now I'm on my second DC MD, which is still new. I swapped the grease inside with other type - bought no less than 6 types from different manufacturers. After some tests, the smoothest retrieve is obtained by using Lew's Super Duty casting reel grease made in coop with Lucas Oil.

The other grease that I'm testing now is Shimano's Permalub Grease, that feels better than any other Shimano grease in the newer DC MD.

I don't know why this happens, but it looks like Shimano has clearly skimped on quality gears of the Antares DC MD XG.

Thanks for the heads up!!!  Did you see any visible wear/damage on the original gears?  Mine appear to be fine, but I understand that it doesn't take much of an imperfection with the micromodule gears.  I will have to examine them more closely.  I am having trouble finding part numbers, as the schematic is in Japanese.  Does Shimano Japan have an online parts store in English? 

I have been using 20 lbs. sniper and 19 and 22 lbs. Shooter Armilo.  You would think that these lines would put much less stress on the gears than the PE lines that some guys are using.  A DC reel with a brake setting for PE line should have no trouble holding up to flouro...

42 minutes ago, Bass_blaster said:

Have you removed the anti-reverse clutch bearing and inspected it? I don’t have an Antares DC-MD, but had a curado DC with similar symptoms to what you’re describing. Upon disassembly it was in fact the anti reverse bearing. It’s happened one more time since the initial replacement so now I just keep a few of them at home.

I did the quick q-tip test, and the grease is clean, but I have not removed it.  I will add that to the list as well.  With the number of Shimano reels that I own, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a couple of extras laying around.

Man, with multiple reports of issues with a $650 JDM Shimano, I'm seriously considering a full defection to the Daiwa... err... Dark Side. It used to be that the Japan factory Shimanos were bulletproof. 

Guys, hope you get those reels sorted out, I'd be p!ssed if I were in your situation. 

2 hours ago, chevro1et said:

Man, with multiple reports of issues with a $650 JDM Shimano, I'm seriously considering a full defection to the Daiwa... err... Dark Side. It used to be that the Japan factory Shimanos were bulletproof. 

Guys, hope you get those reels sorted out, I'd be p!ssed if I were in your situation. 

Don't worry, I had worst luck with Daiwa - I have a Daiwa Z2020 Black Limited that grinds like the proverbial grinder from hell after what, 6 months of moderate use with 14 lbs. fc lines only? I have yet to send this one to repairs... or get the gears, b/c they're highly expensive. So, no brand is safe or fault-proof. 6 months! I only used soft swimbaits such as OneUp Shad and the Optimul Baits Boom Boom swimbait in the 6" length. Also used some gliding baits such as Gan Craft 178 or 230, but they don't pull almost at all on the reel.

You cannot order directly from Shimano Japan. You have to place your order with a local fishing tackle store. I got my DC MD parts with the help of Digitaka.com. But you can use www.plat.co.jp online ordering system, which looks much easier: https://www.plat.co.jp/shop/catalog/optionparts/

Back to the gears: I checked them (without a magnifier) but they seem to be OK. Mine became rough after 3 or 4 fishing days.

You should let me know which version is: Left handle or Right handle? Mine are all LH. Because the parts numbers vastly differ from one model to another.

Antares DC MD XG Left handle parts

- no. 135 (drive gear)

- no. 138 (pinion gear)

- no. 33 (drag washer)

- no. 35 (drag washer)

Antares DC MD XG Right handle parts

- no. 34 (drive gear)

- no. 50 (pinion gear)

- no. 33 (drag washer)

- no. 35 (drag washer)

You may also want to change the drag washers (listed above) with some carbontex ones – I gave the measurements to a shop from the U.S. tht sells them on ebay. Here’s the link>

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-carbontex-drag-washers-ANTARES-DC-MD-XG-DC-MD-XG-L-18/114335181799?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

The carbontex washers are so much better than the stock washers, both in smoothness and durability. Just add some Cal’s drag grease to them, a very light coat.

I run them in my old DC MD, now I’m looking to get a second set for my newer DC MD.

These pics are from the older gears and the original stock washers...

DSC05793.JPG

DSC05817.JPG

DSC05762.JPG

DSC05769.JPG

Edited by AndZ

One more thing: each reel has its own code.

You should mention that code depending on what version of the reel you're ordering the parts for, if you send the order by mail to a certain shop in Japan.

Antares DC MD XG Left Handle code is 03875.

Antares DC MD XG Right Handle code is 03874.

Chevro1et - I probably own $10-15K worth of Shimano reels (including 2 stellas and 2 twinpowers for inshore saltwater), and I have been extremely pleased until now.  I did have to replace the gears in a couple of '16 metaniums, but I wasn't expecting great longevity out of the stock aluminum gears.  This is my first JDM Shimano, and I think that lack of availability of parts is making this seem much worse than it actually is.  I will try my best to hold off on judgement until I install the new bearings and gears.  If the issue returns, then I will be pissed!

AndZ -  Thank you so much for your help!!!  I actually found the parts on the Plat website last night, but I held out on ordering in hopes that I could find another store with faster shipping.  Based on your comments, It sounds like Plat is my best option.  I ordered the carbontex drag washers last week, so it is good to hear that you are seeing significantly better performance. 

I will provide an update once I get all the replacement parts installed.