How fast do fish learn?

danthefisherman

I semi-recently caught my unofficial personal best (forgot the scale at home) and have been trying to relocate and recatch her to get an official weight. So far I have been unsuccessful in doing so, but I've had some really good days catching other fish by following the same pattern and using the same bait that I caught her with. That bite has started to die off, however, and this has me reconsidering my approach to recatch fish. Is it a waste of time trying to recatch fish using the same bait in the same general area? Is it a waste of time trying to recatch the same fish in general? How fast do fish learn to avoid a particular offering? When will they "forget" about getting caught and be willing to bite again? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Here are some specifics if you really want the details: The pond is shallow, muddy, and only covers a few acres. Forage species include shiners, crayfish, bluegill, crappie, etc. The pond experiences very heavy fishing pressure and typically fishes poorly. I caught this fish my first time out with my new bait and knew I was onto something when she choked it so far down that I had to remove the front hook to get the rear hook out. I noted the weather conditions, where I caught her, what the depth was, and what retrieve I was using. Subsequent outings following a similar pattern produced the best fishing I've ever had at this pond, but I wasn't able to coax my pb into biting again. It's a small pond, so I know she's in there unless someone caught and kept her. I've been using the same bait because I don't have anything else like it, but I vary my retrieve and the location/depth that I fish it. Probably not the best strategy, but I can't seem to get bit on anything else. As mentioned, the bite has sort of fazed out now. I'm not sure if I've fished the pond out or the bass are on beds now which is why I'm not getting the bites :lol:

As far as your specific conditions go, it seems like the fish just moved off of that bite. But in my experience, fishing small (25-150 acre) lakes, the fish learn extremely quick. For my first few years with big baits I used to hammer fish on a huddleston 68 at a local lake, now I catch 1 or 2 each year, the fish don't react to it the same that they used to, I rarely even get followers. Again, it could be due to a wide range of factors, many of which I don't understand at all, but switching up baits but staying in the same profile isn't a bad idea. Maybe try a hudd shad? one of my favorite finesse baits of all time 

I would try the same bait just with a different color way and weighting system, one that swims different and look different. The fish that you caught obviously liked the size and shape of your bait but it knows what it looks like now. If you change the swim and color you will probably start getting bit again. 

One of the things I learned though repeated "Not Allowed"-ups is that if you get a follower or dump a fish, the worst thing you can do is cast repeatedly at it. I don't think bass are geniuses in the fish world, but it's pretty easy to shut a fish down with fishing pressure. If I can't get a fish to bite, or dump it after having hooked it, I'll mark it on the map and just leave. Generally I'll come back late in the afternoon or early the following morning and fish a crawler or a worm over where the fish was.

included is a neat experiment on bass fishing pressure.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/fme.12372

I'd say let that pond rest a few days and then fish that same area either just before first light to a little after daylight, or right at sunset and first hour after.  If you can do either, or both on a day with an approaching weather system that could tip the odds to your favor a bit.

Big bass don't get to be big in that environment by being dumb.  She made a potentially fatal mistake that time but I don't believe that bass remember those events like you or I do.  But if you keep showing the same or similar presentation in a short period of time she may have some condition response to ignore that.  Go out when the big fish may have their guard down, be stealthy, make the first cast count and you may get your chance to weigh her.  I'm betting she weighs close to 7lb.