winter is the best big bass season

Bonesaw

I just checked the gotem section for the first Time in a few months. it is full of Dd bass. I am missing this winter but last winter I caught my pb and my 2 other biggest fish of the year. Why does conventional wisdom say winter is hard fishing with downsize baits? I never used to bother fishing in winter til I got bit by the swimbait bug. Big mistake I think.

I've read, and I'm sure most others out there know. Big bass are lethargic in the winter, so the opportunity to eat that one big meal is something they cannot pass up. I think on Ken Huddlestons website he said something like, maximum calories consumed for minimum calories expended. This with the fact that they need to bulk up for the rigors of the spawn make big slow moving swimbaits a no brainer for big bass in the winter.

I just checked the gotem section for the first Time in a few months. it is full of Dd bass. I am missing this winter but last winter I caught my pb and my 2 other biggest fish of the year. Why does conventional wisdom say winter is hard fishing with downsize baits? I never used to bother fishing in winter til I got bit by the swimbait bug. Big mistake I think.

Because swimbaiting is not "conventional". Most bass fishing magazines are geared toward promoting tournament style tactics so people only read about conventional types of fishing. These info then get recycled and becomes the "truth". That's ok because that means more big fishes for us. :)

Because swimbaiting is not "conventional". Most bass fishing magazines are geared toward promoting tournament style tactics so people only read about conventional types of fishing. These info then get recycled and becomes the "truth". That's ok because that means more big fishes for us. :)

ya shhhh dont tell anyone ;)

So Freaking TRUE! Took me many years to jump off that wagon and boy did it pay off! SB fishing for 2012 made up for all of those wasted years, lol!

Not to mention most all the fish this time of year are at maximum weight due to the fact they are full of eggs and ready to spawn. They are normally lethargic and will feed at certain times o the day, if you are at the right place at the right time it really doesn't matter what you throw. I had rather be throwing a swimbait when it is 40 to 50 degrees instead of 90 to 100 any day haha.

i have never caught a single swimbait fish in the winter... i get a crap ton of short bites and i have had one good hook up with about a 4 but it threw the bait... i agree though at my local lake I see these huge 7-12 lbers chilling in these tulles... too bad my lake is over fished because at the sight of anything BUT a worm, they get spooked and dart.... it's hard at my lake :(

I fish really hard and often from October to February, because I know that’s when the big girls are feeding heavily and at the highest potential for weight. Come march they are still feeding but much thinner.

This fish was caught in late march and was probably 30†and only weighted 8 pounds.

post-91-14252988046697_thumb.jpg