Any opinions on Lews Super Duty 300?

Tser

I am looking at getting a 300 size reel for my larger swimbaits (3-6oz.). This reel will be paired to a Dobyns 806. I do not want to spend more than ~$140, therefore a Tranx or Lexa are out of budget.

Originally, I was looking at a Shimano Cardiff 301A, but I saw that Sportsman's Outfitters has the Lew's Super Duty 300 for $135. How does the Super Duty 300 compare in terms of refinement and durability? I have exclusively used Shimano/Daiwa reels up until now and have heard varying opinions on Lew's quality (i.e. being made in the same factory as Abu, BPS, etc.).

Any opinions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

That's what I have on my 806 and I love it. Casts great, strong drag, strong parts. To be fair, I have been a nearly exclusive Lew's user for almost the last ten years. I have owned some Daiwa and Shimano in there as well. I have enjoyed some of the Daiwas and still own a few. Everytime I get a Shimano I feel like they are way overpriced and sell them. I can get a Lew's tournament pro for half the price of a Chronarch and like the Lew's better anyway. People will tell you that a Lew's won't last as long. But, in all these years I have had one problem and they sent a part for free.

30 minutes ago, rwp said:

The Lew's is an ok reel for $140, but a curado 300k can be had for $150 used and $180 new and it's a fantastic reel.

I have been looking for Lexas and Curados in my price range, but its tough to find any lefty offerings.

4 hours ago, Tser said:

What maintenance do you do? 

I've sent it to a local guy for a full breakdown, cleaning, assessment, and replacement of required parts (only bushings and bearings so far) once.  That was after 2 full seasons of fishing.  The guy does good work and his prices are fair, so it will be going back (along with all my reels) during the winter whether I feel like they need it or not.  Other than that, keep it out of the dirt and out of the water, and let it drain and dry out after use.  

Never owned any Lews. So I can’t soeak to the reel. But I have owned an 806 for years. Don’t push that rod past 4.9oz. I say that weight because that’s the heaviest I've pushed mine with a Phoney Frog and it was on the edge. Dobyns are well known for overrating the weights. Great rods, but treat it like a 795 as far as Max weight. 

I have my older blue Lexa 300 HD P on that one. Reel is maybe 3 years old. I put a double handle on mine. I threw 8oz baits on it. Not my favorite reel. She’s noisy. But hasn’t failed me. Just doesn’t hold enough 20lb line. I can almost cast the spool off. Almost. But it kills the LPi so bad I have to start out burning and slow way down as line spools back up and the LPi gets closer to normal.