Help working on a rat

Thiskidlikes2fish

I have been trying to make rat drawings and baits for a while and nothing seems to work right. I have made 2 styles and both had the problem of the front moving and the soft plastic tail moving but the back notimage.thumb.jpg.2a16bfcf12ff78297a9961dba7ea493c.jpg    
image.thumb.jpg.33dc19764a9518294b4e5b886540322c.jpg

in the non-rounded one there was a lip but I tried to take it out but broke and in the other I made a lipped and non-lipped version. I don’t know what I am doing wrong. Any help welcome.

What I did with a rat I made is it was orininally going to be a single jointed bait, similar to the second one pictured, but i wasn't happy with the action so i threw another joint in the middle of the back section and the last joint whipped side to side much more and i was happy with that action. Going from front to back the joints were 2:1:1 ratio pretty much. I'm don't have much experience building baits but I had the same problem and that's just what I did

lip required 100%, i go anywhere from 5-15 degree angle 

on the top bait, i would have done the front section longer than the back, like 2/3 front, 1/3 back or close to it. seems like theres a lot of wood in the back and the front section may not be swinging enough to move it. 

ive found that two sets of screw eyes in the joint also help a lot (think of the toxic mink) i do one set on my smaller rats and two sets on my bigger rats, helps create a more rigid bait that wants to swim straight instead of having the tail section dip down. 

you may also need a small amount of ballast centered in the bait to help act as a pivot point and also keep the bait from rolling. 

the bottom bait looks a lot like some of the striper plugs ive made in the past, again, lip needed, and rounded belly baits definitely require some ballast to keep them on track 

that top design looks solid man, probably just needs a few small tweaks to get it going.