Best Line For Big Swimbaits: NEED ADVICE

GlideGuys

If you are going to run braid to leader I would recommend 80lbs PowerPro Maxcuatro which is the diameter of regular 65lbs PowerPro to Sunline FC100 is either 25 or 30lbs.

FC100 is a fluorocarbon shock leader designed to have stretch in it. They use it for hard hitting fish like GT with heavy rods, heavy line and buttoned drags but still need the stretch to take the Initial hit of the strike. 

if you want to go Straight fluorocarbon check out Sunline FC Assassin or Seagur Abrazx

10 hours ago, Fried Lemons said:

I personally have had issues with sunline fluoro the same as you described. I was using 30lb FC100 leader and snapped off two battles shads in a row on hooksets. The leader broke above the knot both times with zero resistance. I've had the same thing happen fishing straight FC Sniper. At this point I'm no longer willing to gamble with that line anymore. I've fished straight 20 and 25lb pline original for two seasons now with absolutely no cast offs or random break offs. It's cheap so I don't feel bad about retying frequently and cutting away a rod's length or more at the start of every trip. The stretch takes some getting used to. If you're dead set on braid to leader I recommend retying the leader every trip.

I see. I've used the line with KVD line conditioner and I do see the line really change. Personally I have not snapped any of my Hinkle's or BGC's yet but I have snapped off a 3:16 workhorse on CXX and FC Sniper. I fish super clear water anywhere from 8-25 ft of visibility and I've notice that FC sniper tends to dull out turning to white but since I've used the KVD line conditioner it has remained clear. FC Sniper is amazing for Huds and Mags but glides it seems to not work but that's what I've notice. Not trying to bash CXX or sniper but this is what I've found from years of use.  

10 hours ago, Fried Lemons said:

I personally have had issues with sunline fluoro the same as you described. I was using 30lb FC100 leader and snapped off two battles shads in a row on hooksets. The leader broke above the knot both times with zero resistance. I've had the same thing happen fishing straight FC Sniper. At this point I'm no longer willing to gamble with that line anymore. I've fished straight 20 and 25lb pline original for two seasons now with absolutely no cast offs or random break offs. It's cheap so I don't feel bad about retying frequently and cutting away a rod's length or more at the start of every trip. The stretch takes some getting used to. If you're dead set on braid to leader I recommend retying the leader every trip.

I see. I've used the line with KVD line conditioner and I do see the line really change. Personally I have not snapped any of my Hinkle's or BGC's yet but I have snapped off a 3:16 workhorse on CXX and FC Sniper. I fish super clear water anywhere from 8-25 ft of visibility and I've notice that FC sniper tends to dull out turning to white but since I've used the KVD line conditioner it has remained clear. FC Sniper is amazing for Huds and Mags but glides it seems to not work but that's what I've notice. Not trying to bash CXX or sniper but this is what I've found from years of use.  

1 minute ago, Secretly Beloved said:

Oh didn't mean to do a duplicate lol. 

13 hours ago, Bass_blaster said:

CXX is a copoly. For the seaguar and baits of the size you quoted I’d do 17 if you can. Otherwise 20. 

Just to update you, earlier today I ended up buying CXX 20lb test and that stuff is definitely more abrasion resistant and stronger than the fluro I was using before. It’s also very unnoticeable in the water, more than I was expecting. And I was thinking about 17lb test but I just decided to go with 20lb for that extra strength to give me more confidence. It didn’t alter the action of my glide baits either. At one point I was using my knife to cut the line and retie a knot and it surprised how it took a little more effort to cut. So far it looks like this might be my new leader. However, I imagine as time goes on my setup will change, probably gonna take a look at seagur.

Thanks for the replies everyone! 

I’ve been playing around with 20lb Seaguar AbrazX for baits up to a deps 250 and so far, I’ve been very happy with it. Landed multiple big fish, just retie every so often. 

I think I’m going to get some P-line original line 20 pound with some size 4 and 5 egg snaps to throw my hinkle Shad. Should I change the hooks out on my Hinkle? And if I did what size. I like the Decoy Quattros 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve had two bulk spools of pline cxx in 25lb I’ve used over the years and still do to this day and zero issues it’s cheap so you can respool every few trips if you want just like you should I’ve only had problems fishing floro especially with bigger baits 

I decided to bite the bullet and buy 25 lb seaguar tatsu for my leader line to throw baits up to a 250. I haven't used it yet because I'm waiting on some gear, but the stuff seems rock solid although very supple. Also something cool about the 25 lb line is that it's the equivalent diameter of 20 lb which should make the action of the bait better. I'd like to hear what you guys' thoughts are on tatsu as mainline, leader, or both?

On 6/25/2021 at 9:20 AM, Morgan Y said:

I'd like to hear what you guys' thoughts are on tatsu as mainline, leader, or both?

In my experience the stuff is awesome. And I generally am NOT a fan of fluorocarbon. You're right where you need to be with the 25lb for throwing pretty much whatever. I typically spool 20lb, but do not throw larger than low 6's with it and it's held up. Stay smart, retie like you should, and if it frays even a little then cut it or live with regret.