Best Line For Big Swimbaits: NEED ADVICE

GlideGuys

Trust me guys, I have looked up many different types of lines and searched SU for the best line for big swimbaits but I want answers specific to my situation. So right now, I am using 40lb braid, and 20lb Sunline Super SC Sniper as a 10ft leader. I have been doing this setup for awhile, but after last week I am paranoid to throw more swimbaits on this setup... I tied on a completely new leader with the the sunline and after a few casts my line randomly snapped about 2 ft away from my glide bait, meaning this like breakage had nothing to do with knots. I didn’t bird’s nest or anything, it literally broke off with no tension on it. I don’t know if this means I just had the shittiest luck and happened to get a spool of line that already had a knick, but it’s very frustrating because now that lure is gone and I’m worried it’ll happened again. There have also been times where I’ll be making sure my knots are tight so I’ll pull a little hard, and the fluro will just snap. 

I honestly do like how fluro is basically invisibile in the water, but I want something that’s strong and that I can use as a leader for my big glides. So if there are any other options that will almost guarantee me more abrasion resistance and a lesser chance of losing a swimbait, please give recommendations, wether it’s fluro or mono and which one will work best as a leader. I know many others have been in similar situation as me, so any advice is appreciated. I’m throwing glide baits in the 2-3.5 oz range. 

Thanks SU

I throw my glides in that size range on straight Pline CXX 17lb. If I’m throwing heavier glides up to Deps 250 then I go with 20lb CXX.

If you really want strong fluoro leader ive always had great luck with seaguar products whether it’s lighter bass gear or heavy tuna and offshore stuff. 

If you use leaders I would recommend Sunlines FC100 System leader Fluorocarbon. So far I have used it for Tuna, Striped Bass, King Salmon, and some bone fish. It has held up very well to all the species although the Bonefish did really test the line in 16lb test. So far I really like it is kind of stretchy similar to mono but it has amazing invisibility in the water. 

I personally have had issues with sunline fluoro the same as you described. I was using 30lb FC100 leader and snapped off two battles shads in a row on hooksets. The leader broke above the knot both times with zero resistance. I've had the same thing happen fishing straight FC Sniper. At this point I'm no longer willing to gamble with that line anymore. I've fished straight 20 and 25lb pline original for two seasons now with absolutely no cast offs or random break offs. It's cheap so I don't feel bad about retying frequently and cutting away a rod's length or more at the start of every trip. The stretch takes some getting used to. If you're dead set on braid to leader I recommend retying the leader every trip.

I use cxx, no issues, 20 and 25lb. Bank flipped a huge catfish onto a soggy weedline at a golf course to drag it up to an area to unhook it, so I'm confident in it.

I bought fluorocarbon recently but I'm kind of hesitant to use it since cxx has given no issues. I wanted to get true depth out of my baits, but definitely don't want any break offs with baits.

I used P Line CXX in smaller diameter with conventional tackle before I got into big baits and it never let me down. I’ve used it 100% on all of my Swimbait set ups and....I won’t jinx myself. I throw 20lb for up to 9oz and 25lb for above. I tie a palomar knot on everything and make sure to keep the line parallel through the whole process and run the line through my mouth and wet cinch slowly and then snug it firmly. 

Old habit I guess but I also wrap the line from the rod around one hand and grab the lure with the other and give it a few hard yanks. Again, just an old habit I’m stuck doing without even thinking about it. 

I’ve accudentally engaged a reel mid cast on full send twice throwing a bait that I know was 7.9 oz and another that was in that range, but I can’t recall the exact weight. I cringed waiting for the lure to go flying both times. But they didn’t. So I’m a firm believer in CXX. I also buy from stores that move it fast so I’m getting fresh spools. I keep all of my line stored in the house and away from windows. 

I've been using straight 20lb Sunline Super Fluorocarbon with much success throwing baits in the 2 to 3.5 oz range as you mentioned. Very confident in that particular line.

You mentioned you had issues with fluorocarbon breaking when you cinch it tight? I know it may seem rudimentary, but are you lubricating the knot as you tie it? From my understanding, fluorocarbon has a tendency to heat up when cinching a knot down, causing it to become brittle and break easy. I always use some form of lubricant ( aka: saliva) when I tighten down fluorocarbon. Not sure if that's the issue you experienced.

7 hours ago, Bass_blaster said:

I throw my glides in that size range on straight Pline CXX 17lb. If I’m throwing heavier glides up to Deps 250 then I go with 20lb CXX.

If you really want strong fluoro leader ive always had great luck with seaguar products whether it’s lighter bass gear or heavy tuna and offshore stuff. 

Pline is mono right? Do you know if fish can see it in the water, or does it blend in pretty well I’ve still heard a lot of good things about it and now I’m willing to take that chance to make sure I don’t get anymore breakages. What pound seaguar would you recommend if I were to get that?

1 hour ago, GlideGuys said:

Pline is mono right? Do you know if fish can see it in the water, or does it blend in pretty well I’ve still heard a lot of good things about it and now I’m willing to take that chance to make sure I don’t get anymore breakages. What pound seaguar would you recommend if I were to get that?

CXX is a copoly. For the seaguar and baits of the size you quoted I’d do 17 if you can. Otherwise 20.