Recommendations on Reels

FishermanAZ

Looking to get a 300 series reel to throw bigger rats, klash 9, doom rider etc but mostly glide baits.  looking for recommendations  on brands and ratios 7:1 or 8:1?     I’ve fished shimano exclusively but looking at Diawa tatula 300 and Lexa 300 Wn.  tranx seem to be out of stock.  Hoping to do it right the first time.   Any insight would be helpful...thanks!  

Been a Shimano guy for a long time but the Tatula 300 is pretty legit. I have a couple of the newer Curado 300s but I like my  Tatula 300s better. Both are very solid reels.

Edited by brian1304
sentence didnt make sense.

On 6/5/2021 at 9:47 AM, FishermanAZ said:

Looking to get a 300 series reel to throw bigger rats, klash 9, doom rider etc but mostly glide baits.  looking for recommendations  on brands and ratios 7:1 or 8:1?     I’ve fished shimano exclusively but looking at Diawa tatula 300 and Lexa 300 Wn.  tranx seem to be out of stock.  Hoping to do it right the first time.   Any insight would be helpful...thanks!  

I was in the same boat and ended up going yolo with a Z2020 Black Limited 

I 3rd a z2020, I love mine. I was on the fringe of selling it a couple months ago but ended up keeping it and it’s the best decision I’ve made lol. I throw doom riders and tks up to 8” punkers and 10” mags like nothin, a great all around reel. 

I've really been loving the Tatula 300 and 400 this spring. The 8.1 gear on the 300 is perfect for the 250 and the balam but a hair fast for crawling baits. No issues with grinding fish in though! I'm curious to see what it'll be like a year from now, no loss in smoothness and drag quality yet but it's only about four months old now.

I had a Deps Z2020 and while I really enjoyed it I did end up selling it and getting an Antares DC MD to replace it. 90% of the time I was throwing a doomrider on the Z and it was great for that, and so far the Antares is as well.

My favorite 300 size reel that I currently have for the applications you listed is a Grappler 300 HG. Super tank, super smooth, and just feels sturdy AF. For what you are throwing id recommend one of those or a Tranx 300 but if you went with a Z2020 you’ll be happy too.