UFO Jerkbait?

SumoNinja

Anyone else ever work swimbaits like this? I've found success doing this during tuff bites. Floaters or xss, lipless, multi jointed baits works best for me. I just explore and do anything I can to get the full potential out of a bait. Not just cast and steady retrieve or burn pause. The purpose is to agitate the surface, kick water, cause a disturbance that gets the fish's attention.  With a great bait like ufo this technique is an excellent addition to my retrieves. 

20210623_201702.jpg

20210623_235651.jpg

3 minutes ago, nikopap1 said:

Nice fish! I am going to have to try this out

1 hour ago, Rogervang said:

Gonna have to give this a try. 

Yea try it and lmk if it works for u guys. U can kinda do this with just hard, erratic reel turns on a floater but if u do that the bait comes to u straight and much faster. 

The way I sweep and jerk the rod, I reel slower and the bait stays in the area longer and it really shoots out to the sides on the quick pauses. U can't see it in the video but there were some underwater bushes I swam the bait by and this little guy was holding there. If I brought the bait back to me too fast I may not have got the strike.

Idk, at least that's how it played in my mind. 

Thats how i always work my TK's. Snap the rod to the left or right, like i do with jerkbaits. I think it works great.  Never tried it with the UFO but that bait has great action so I bet it works nicely. I'll have to give it a try this weekend

1 hour ago, captainhookset said:

Thats how i always work my TK's. Snap the rod to the left or right, like i do with jerkbaits. I think it works great.  Never tried it with the UFO but that bait has great action so I bet it works nicely. I'll have to give it a try this weekend

U do it lip out or in?

First time I did this was with a 316 floating sport shad and got bit. Been doing it since every now and then. 

U can do it with lipped wake baits too but the lip will take some control away from the user. 

Awesome video. Thanks for sharing. I fish some pretty erratic retrieves on numerous swims and glides. I tend to pop my rod tip down due to a bum shoulder (fished jerkbaits the same way after surgery 22 years ago). But it’s a great technique. I’ve been having luck recently fishing Jokers in a similar fashion on top. But I’ve never worked any of my UFO’s like that. Thanks for the lesson. I’ll Definitely give it a try. 

6 hours ago, SVT THUNDER said:

Awesome video. Thanks for sharing. I fish some pretty erratic retrieves on numerous swims and glides. I tend to pop my rod tip down due to a bum shoulder (fished jerkbaits the same way after surgery 22 years ago). But it’s a great technique. I’ve been having luck recently fishing Jokers in a similar fashion on top. But I’ve never worked any of my UFO’s like that. Thanks for the lesson. I’ll Definitely give it a try. 

Lmk how it goes. Would love to hear what u guys think and how it worked for u. I think a bait like a lipless ufo has a little too much pull to work how I want on my 795. An 806 is less work on the user 

5 hours ago, SumoNinja said:

Lmk how it goes. Would love to hear what u guys think and how it worked for u. I think a bait like a lipless ufo has a little too much pull to work how I want on my 795. An 806 is less work on the user 

I have the 806, 867 and 908. So I’ll experiment when the water is back up to the normal level. It’s just too low right now for anything big bait related other than wakes in the good 8’ and shallower areas. Grass is thick here. Which is good...but not with low water levels.