Advice fishing the 250

Fried Lemons

I've had the 250 for almost 2 years now and out of all the baits I fish I struggle the most to get bites on this bait. I'm a bit embarrassed to say after dozens of hours fishing this bait the only fish I have is a sub 2lber. I can get somewhat consistent bites on more erratic gliding baits like the K9 around cover but it seems like all I get are follows on the big wide glides like the 250. Most of these followers are small to medium sized fish. I have had much better success on smaller soft baits and wakes but I really want to improve my glide game. I have messed around with smaller glide baits but they seem to catch too many dinks.

I guess my question is in what kind of areas and conditions do you reach for the 250? I'm particularly interested to hear from some northeast guys.

My usual method for the 250 is a slow retrieve near cover to pull out followers. If I get a follower I can usually get it to eat by darting the 250 erratically with the fishes body language. You can also get a reaction bite with rapid reel pops or rod twitches. 

Yup. As mentioned I think it helps to vary the retrieve depending on what you see. I’m light years away from being “good” at fishing the 250 but I get consistent fish on it in San Diego lakes. First I think, get a color your confident in (flash carp for me) and then just experiment based on season and fish response. I usually start with a slow-ish retrieve and work up from there until I get dialed in. Erratic near vegetation for me has produced well but I’ve also done decent with a methodical cadence. I also used to fish it on 30, then 25, and now I do 20lb. I love it on 20lb. 

i’m new to the 250 too, have only put in around 70 or so hours but have had luck with that slow reel. i know that butch says that the clearer water you have the faster you can work it. so if you are in that dirty water id slow down more. i fish it as close to cover/ the shore as possible and i love fishing cliff walls parallel with it. definitely get a color you are confident in though the mental part of it is the hardest thing 

It looks like the fish on your body of water are too small for the big 10 inch baits. Try other bodies of water that you know have bigger fish and compare it to the waters you are currently fishing. 

Yes sometimes it can also be the lb test line you are using. I know for me ever since I downsized my line I've gotten fish to commit to the deps. But sometimes I've notice its a time of year thing. 

@Butch, I've gotten one 5 pounder on a 250 (I use the Wa Goi color), and have gotten a lot of followers up to 7 out in the central valley. What would you do to try to get more bites on a 5 or so acre pond with grass and no trees in one pond, and a bunch of trees on the other? Also do you still tune baits, I'd love to get mine tuned?

Yes Morgan, its not a problem to tune your bait happy to do it!, you supply the shipping/return cost I'll tune it hybrid, rig your bait "My Way" ready to fish once you get back, I see your ranks 1# = that means you will listen to me to build  your own path in swimbaiting/short cuts, after we talk via phone once your bait is delivered to me, maybe I can help you understand my thinking on getting more and bigger bass biters......let me know on SBU messaging, I'm usually out fishing "like now I'm heading for the evening bite" but ill connect with you!

5 minutes ago, swimbait 24/7 said:

Yes Morgan, its not a problem to tune your bait happy to do it!, you supply the shipping/return cost I'll tune it hybrid, rig your bait "My Way" ready to fish once you get back, I see your ranks 1# = that means you will listen to me to build  your own path in swimbaiting/short cuts, after we talk via phone once your bait is delivered to me, maybe I can help you understand my thinking on getting more and bigger bass biters......let me know on SBU messaging, I'm usually out fishing "like now I'm heading for the evening bite" but ill connect with you!

Let us know how you did tonight Butch!!!!