Trouble with old friend and local tournament

Dnewpo57

I might understand if it were a new swimbait spot getting little pressure he shared with you. That's happened to me a couple of times, what pissed me off was guys pretended it was their discovery when they outed the spots to others. Yo how about a thanks for putting your bud on that big one, nada. I confronted a guy once about spot burning, and he replied, "that's fishing."....But there are no secret torney spots ever imo.  We all have great sonar and maps....Maybe, he just wanted a sense of appreciation from you. 

Edited by bigpoppabass

This highlights the unfortunate reality of bass fishing - tournament fishing in local derbys/clubs/etc. can really give people who are new to fishing a bad impression.

I remember the first time I joined a local bass club in CT, prob back in 2001. I had just graduated high school, and I had a little 12' boat with a crappy trolling motor in the back and a half dead battery. I wanted to learn more techniques - at the time I knew how to catch em on a worm and a 6" huddleston. That's about it. Oh, and a red lipless rapala.

I joined a local club so i could ride on full size bass boats and fish the bigger CT lakes that I couldn't access with my small boat.  I figured it would be a great way to meet guys, learn new stuff, and just get better at fishing.

the first club meeting i felt like I had some transmissible skin disease. All these older dudes barely even acknowledged me.  then, the first tournament I fished was in early spring, like late March. It was prob 40 degrees out with 20mph winds.  The guy up front gets his jig stuck in a rock, and tells me to come up front and operate his motor so he can try to free the snag.  Of course, i had never used a bow mounted trolling motor so I had no clue what to do. The guy started screaming at me saying i should never join a club if I don't know what I'm doing.  Like bro, who cares about your shitty $3 jig.  And thats why i'm fishing from the back not the front. Get your own snag out.  He snapped off btw.

I caught three fish that day fishing the crazy leg chigger craw on a quarter ounce bullet weight, and the boater caught ZIPPPPO.  I finished second for co-anglers.  One guy congratulated me.

now, thats just one single experience and not indicative of every club and every member. of course.  But like alot of guys said here, i didn't stay in that club very long. Think I lasted two years and decided it wasn't my scene.

i'm going to give it another go next year hopefully. I'm much older and still suck at fishing but my whole perspective will be different.

That guy doesn't own the lake and doesn't own the spots.  If he is there, back off and let him fish it since he showed you the spots technically. if he isn't there then you'd be crazy not to fish it.  "Oh, i'm not going to fish this spot since this guy fished there with me a few times i'll just leave it alone" is crazy. If its open, slay it.

But like Brian said find a better spot and slap him in the face with a dead fish.