The bite is atrocious

Morgan Y

My local ponds have gone to straight garbage recently and I have no idea how to fish them anymore swimbait or conventional. There was a massive grass die off that I think has lowered oxygen levels significantly, and on top of that the water is in the high 80s (83-87) and is super murky, like 1 ft of vis (normally this place is 5-10 ft vis maybe more). One of the ponds is basically a bowl with some hydrilla flats here and there, and the other is full of eucalyptus that hang into the water on nearly all sides including the island in the middle. The second pond also has some hydrilla flats here and there along with some rocky (pea gravel with some chunkier rock) sections. These ponds don't have much contour, and at best have a few sections where it's a few feet shallower than others with maybe some submerged trees here and there. (these ponds are about 25-35 acres) Basically what I'm asking is if anyone has tips to try and fish these ponds which are pressured insanely hard? (A side note: I historically was able to do really well here, very well compared to the average, but these conditions have me all messed up. Also I'm not nervous about this spot being known about because every person that fishes in my area goes here) 

When my waters turn to chocolate milk I fish as close as I can to structure/ambush points. Jig with some rattles in it or a solid black worm/creature. Or if you wanna swimbait I’d say an all black or the darkest bait you have. Still key in on structure/ambush points. Also baits with scent added will help. This is from my own experience at my local lakes. Seems like it may just be to hot lots of silt in the water will warm it faster than usual and the grass die off at the same time is definitely the problem. More heat less oxygen, I’d leave to if I were a fish ahahah 

2 hours ago, chefchris said:

I would throw something different. Like a crawler maybe, those baits, seem to draw strikes from highly pressured waters 

besides that a weedless citizen or real prey 

I'll definitely give the weedless stuff a shot, and I think I have a crawler sitting around.

59 minutes ago, Mtrose23 said:

Same thing happened with a local pond I fish here in SoCal 

water was also drained a good 4/5ft 

the most productivity I get is at night 

I agree 100% with the above comments 

I always do the best in the afternoon anyways, so maybe I should just stay later into the night.

1 hour ago, Mtrose23 said:

Same thing happened with a local pond I fish here in SoCal 

water was also drained a good 4/5ft 

the most productivity I get is at night 

I agree 100% with the above comments 

The pond I fish in LA just had a kill. Pretty sad

33 minutes ago, B_larkin3 said:

If it’s a small body of water they will eventually get used to seeing the same baits. Gotta switch it up

Most people who fish there throw jigs, senkos, and earthworms which are the most common (most people throw the wrong gear/hooks/weights so the baits I listed when presented correctly are actually good). Most fish haven't seen any real baits although the pressure is immense, upwards of 500 people in a weekend probably. Switching baits isn't really the problem, I think I need an altogether different technique.

4 hours ago, BayAreaAngler said:

When my waters turn to chocolate milk I fish as close as I can to structure/ambush points. Jig with some rattles in it or a solid black worm/creature. Or if you wanna swimbait I’d say an all black or the darkest bait you have. Still key in on structure/ambush points. Also baits with scent added will help. This is from my own experience at my local lakes. Seems like it may just be to hot lots of silt in the water will warm it faster than usual and the grass die off at the same time is definitely the problem. More heat less oxygen, I’d leave to if I were a fish ahahah 

That's the problem, I'd assume that they go into deep cover, but the fish have done the exact opposite, they are in deep water. I also tend to notice that they favor any water that is somewhat clear, although even then it's hard to find the fish. Maybe it's just a time of year thing and they're lock jawed.

Weedless soft bait boots tails and ospreys for me on the weed lines. Lake has  been chocolate milk, kinds of surprised I can’t get on a top water bite.  Not sure if you done some research on the fall turnover but there’s a few good YouTube videos out there that helped me a lot 

14 minutes ago, Grizzn n bassin said:

Weedless soft bait boots tails and ospreys for me on the weed lines. Lake has  been chocolate milk, kinds of surprised I can’t get on a top water bite.  Not sure if you done some research on the fall turnover but there’s a few good YouTube videos out there that helped me a lot 

I have done quite a bit of research on the fall transition, it's a really weird time. I also haven't had a topwater bite for a while, although earlier in June I had such a good topwater bite going that I could get probably 10 bites in 3 hrs.