Swimbaits in the surf

WRHguy

Recently in my quest to satisfy my need to try a new technique, I had a conversation about throwing big baits in the surf. Anyone ever tried it? I'm not talking about big hammers and stuff I'm talking full on LDC Calcutta swimbait setup swimbaits. My first weapon of choice will be my ayu slide swimmer. Figure it's a generic enough patten to pass as a Spanish mak. To start I will probably keep it pretty shallow and look for trenches(because my biggest fear in the surf will be hooking a big Leo or mud marlin and getting spooled with my expensive bait in their mouth). But I figure it can't hurt to try... Have a nice relaxing day on the beach... And possibly a nice big halibut is enticed by something they have never(or rarely ever) seen.

Targeting big halibut and leopards. Went out today. The little leopards chase the bait around all day so it looks promising.Bad conditions. Too much salad to target the big ones effectively. But mark my words... A big leopard will be caught on my Slide sometime soon

what I would suggest is that if you can is to tie a 3 way swivel and and attaching the bait to one and a 3/8 oz weight to the other to keep it low on the bottom. (if you are going to use a slow sinking bait and also so long as it doesn't affect the action)

Since you are fishing from surf in CA, I would honestly try a BBZ 6" Fast Sink in the herring/sardine pattern. I have seen guys on Facebook hang some nice halibut just fishing in the Mission Beach surf doing that.

what I would suggest is that if you can is to tie a 3 way swivel and and attaching the bait to one and a 3/8 oz weight to the other to keep it low on the bottom. (if you are going to use a slow sinking bait and also so long as it doesn't affect the action)

Since you are fishing from surf in CA, I would honestly try a BBZ 6" Fast Sink in the herring/sardine pattern. I have seen guys on Facebook hang some nice halibut just fishing in the Mission Beach surf doing that.

Yup. There is one guy I know of that really does well with the 6" BBZ fast sink. He does well in the trout pattern too. I don't think the color should matter as much in the surf.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the baitfish in the surf are pretty small. I have caught many legals (22" here in California) and three over 30" from the surf. They have all come on the lucky craft flash minnow 110. That being said, halibut are ambush predators so any reaction bait will work. The BBZ 6" would be fun to try.

in the bay slimmer profile swimmers catch alot of buts and stripers. I think the slimmer profile better imitates a anchovy or 'dine. Drifting Mighty minnows works pretty good on a three way swivel rig.

Big stuff gets bit in the surf. The average striper plug is usually around 7" but many guys throw bigger stuff. Glide baits will get bit big time but the issue is that they won't cast for ish in our strong wind. If the fish are in the first break it wont matter.

• 5 years later...