Why are the calico so deep this season?

bassaholic97

Living in San Diego around all the sport boats and six packs has given me the opportunity to have my ear to the wall when it comes to fish reports.  While this season has almost been exclusively tuna focused there a few half day boats that have managed some calico. They say that they were hanging out in the 60 to 100 foot range most of the year.  While the water has been colder I don't see why they wouldn't come up higher into the water column.     Does anyone have any input?

I fish the saltwater bass series and it’s also been deemed as the saltwater bottom series lol. All the tournaments are held January to June so it’s the colder water months. I have seen them up on the surface, but nothing over 2 pounds. Everything was deep as you said.  Fishing weedless in the kelp locally in LJ and stuff yielded little results for me this year. I have no knowledge on why, but I am in the same boat as you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update to that though, water is 65 off LJ right now and I got about 30 calicos on the iron and jerkbait up top and even a few on the toxic bugle lips. Very active fish, wolf packs and double hookups on the jerkbait were not uncommon. Very sparse kelp as well, that is a solid reason for the fish to move deeper into hard bottom spots