Blanks for 6+oz Swimbaits

Morgan Y

So I know that this topic has been discussed in the past, but I was seeing a lot people talking about phenix blanks in the 8 foot length for swimbaits, and I personally like a longer 8'6" rod. I'm leaning towards a phenix black diamond 869 blank to have someone build up, but I'd like to hear some more input. Also is the only difference between the hybrids and the normal black diamonds that the hybrids have a faster action for their rating? My primary use for this rod would be throwing deps 250s with the occasional 8 or 10 inch hudd or baitsmith mag.

Side note: Does anyone ever cut other longer rods down to size or is that kind of pointless?

ABCs of rod building.... Always be cutting

I haven't met a blank yet that didn't get at least an inch chopped off of it.

My latest was shortened 36 inches.

No reason you can't add 6 inches to a blank either.

For a fast-ish action 8'6 or 9 foot blank, without breaking the bank, I'd look at the ba3k line from American tackle. The heaviest one would be great for 6oz.

IMG_20211105_084450803.jpg

8 hours ago, rwp said:

ABCs of rod building.... Always be cutting

I haven't met a blank yet that didn't get at least an inch chopped off of it.

My latest was shortened 36 inches.

No reason you can't add 6 inches to a blank either.

For a fast-ish action 8'6 or 9 foot blank, without breaking the bank, I'd look at the ba3k line from American tackle. The heaviest one would be great for 6oz.

IMG_20211105_084450803.jpg

If I'm going to have someone build a rod for me what kind of person should I be looking for, any pointers for what makes a good rod builder? Do you have any ball park estimates for how much weight an 8-9 power 8-9 foot phenix rod can cast comfortably, I'm going to call them tomorrow, but thought I'd ask? I'll look into those other companies, but at the moment I really would like to get a phenix, I guess as I look into it further I'll get an idea for what I really want.

6 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

If I'm going to have someone build a rod for me what kind of person should I be looking for, any pointers for what makes a good rod builder? Do you have any ball park estimates for how much weight an 8-9 power 8-9 foot phenix rod can cast comfortably, I'm going to call them tomorrow, but thought I'd ask? I'll look into those other companies, but at the moment I really would like to get a phenix, I guess as I look into it further I'll get an idea for what I really want.

@Bass_blasterbuilds on a lot of Phenix blanks, he can help with the weights.

I'd recommend finding a local builder. Shipping longer than 8' costs a ton.

9 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

The Phenix I prefer for my Deps 250 is a black Diamond 809XHJ. I’d say it’s almost like a 1.5xh. The 250 is usually the smallest I throw on it and the largest is the UFO mothership, Bubba, or RM Mother in a pinch. If you want something that can predominately throw a 250 but also go lighter like the 8”hudds you mentioned, then I think the Ultra Swimbait 800H will be closer. 

like RWP said, you can open Pandora’s box with blank trimming but it’s hard to know what’s going to work as a builder without being able to pull on blanks. Phenix has a lot of offerings in their hybrid and inshore series too that I’m sure could be trimmed to do exactly what you want, I’d just have to get hands on to say for sure. 

I cross over a lot in salt water bass fishing and the 809xhj is my favorite all around heavy rod to have with me. It’s done live bait for tuna, heavy a-rigs for Sand bass, saltwater triple trouts, Deps 250, mothership, and almost anything else above 4-5oz. 

1 hour ago, Bass_blaster said:

The Phenix I prefer for my Deps 250 is a black Diamond 809XHJ. I’d say it’s almost like a 1.5xh. The 250 is usually the smallest I throw on it and the largest is the UFO mothership, Bubba, or RM Mother in a pinch. If you want something that can predominately throw a 250 but also go lighter like the 8”hudds you mentioned, then I think the Ultra Swimbait 800H will be closer. 

like RWP said, you can open Pandora’s box with blank trimming but it’s hard to know what’s going to work as a builder without being able to pull on blanks. Phenix has a lot of offerings in their hybrid and inshore series too that I’m sure could be trimmed to do exactly what you want, I’d just have to get hands on to say for sure. 

I cross over a lot in salt water bass fishing and the 809xhj is my favorite all around heavy rod to have with me. It’s done live bait for tuna, heavy a-rigs for Sand bass, saltwater triple trouts, Deps 250, mothership, and almost anything else above 4-5oz. 

Do you ever use rods over 8 ft long? I like the idea of a longer rod because it lets me cast further and has a bit more power when fighting a fish. So from what it seems like the 9 power is the way to go. 

Crafted Fishing Rods is down in the cen cal area I believe.  If you’re inclined to come up to the South Bay, Jon Vadney of Dreadnought is on a whole other level and a good person to discuss blank selection and modification with.  Khan’s Customs is also up here, very skilled builder as well.  If I didn’t wrap my own stix these are the dudes I’d go to.  

3 hours ago, Morgan Y said:

Do you ever use rods over 8 ft long? I like the idea of a longer rod because it lets me cast further and has a bit more power when fighting a fish. So from what it seems like the 9 power is the way to go. 

I moved away from longer rods when I got the kayak but from the shore, 9 foot is my favorite.