How to stand out

DrewManFishing

12 hours ago, SoCalBassBum said:

Throw a F'N worm at this point. ish is a joke here in socal, about to spend my $ on scuba gear and collect baits these guys loose.

This is usually what I do :lol: not really for trout stocks but when I’m with more than one person who is throwing swimbaits, I usually don’t even bother unless the fish are on top. I throw a 2oz, 10 inch worm on an 8/0 beast hook with my 1-4oz rod and So far I have caught multiple big fish. Bunch of 4-6 pounders, an 8.1 and my Pb 9.7. 

Throwing swimbaits is cool haha but catching fish is cooler. 

1 hour ago, _freddyroots said:

This is usually what I do :lol: not really for trout stocks but when I’m with more than one person who is throwing swimbaits, I usually don’t even bother unless the fish are on top. I throw a 2oz, 10 inch worm on an 8/0 beast hook with my 1-4oz rod and So far I have caught multiple big fish. Bunch of 4-6 pounders, an 8.1 and my Pb 9.7. 

Throwing swimbaits is cool haha but catching fish is cooler. 

I have a few heavy weight conventional tactics I will go to but I still throw them on a LDC MH rod. With every YouTube and IG influencer on the swimbait game I’m just over it at the moment.

15 minutes ago, SoCalBassBum said:

I have a few heavy weight conventional tactics I will go to but I still throw them on a LDC MH rod. With every YouTube and IG influencer on the swimbait game I’m just over it at the moment.

Same here haha I throw my mag worms and craws on my 85 remix. Pins the beast hook every single time. I still get bit on the swimmers and wakes but usually only when I’m fishing alone. 

yeah so cal is over run with the ‘influencers’ right now. 

Respectfully, simply throwing what others do not does not make a lot of sense in this situation. But fishing a different spot does. Few anglers are hard enough for a trek so get to stepping. And if you want to really see then get high. Not THAT high lol but rather a hill and take a look. And bring binoculars. You might even see where the Trout are. Those stockers are used to their school, they'll stick together, and you can bank they won't settle where they drop.

3 hours ago, Good Year 71 said:

Respectfully, simply throwing what others do not does not make a lot of sense in this situation. But fishing a different spot does. Few anglers are hard enough for a trek so get to stepping. And if you want to really see then get high. Not THAT high lol but rather a hill and take a look. And bring binoculars. You might even see where the Trout are. Those stockers are used to their school, they'll stick together, and you can bank they won't settle where they drop.

Lol yep, I’ve caught ALL of my fish lately in a spot that is extremely hard to get to. Every time I fish there I get multiple bites and 2 trips ago caught my Pb there. 

3 hours ago, Good Year 71 said:

I don't know about that lol there's a lake by me that gets loads and loads of trout and for the first 3 or 4 days they stay stacked at the launch ramp even with people shoulder to shoulder casting at them now if there's a strong wind pushing away from the bank anytime that week then they'll slowy migrate out to deeper water and roam the lake .

51 minutes ago, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

I don't know about that lol there's a lake by me that gets loads and loads of trout and for the first 3 or 4 days they stay stacked at the launch ramp even with people shoulder to shoulder casting at them now if there's a strong wind pushing away from the bank anytime that week then they'll slowy migrate out to deeper water and roam the lake .

I’ve got a few buddies in my area that fish big baits and the other day one of them went and fished the lake the day after they stocked trout. He was fishing the opposite side of the lake and saw a striper chasing a trout on the surface! One day after the trout were stocked- trout swam across the whole lake! 

1 hour ago, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

That's what happens in the trout stocked ponds and big lakes around me too. It takes them a while to start roaming.

2 hours ago, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

They only stay near if they have to acclimate to the concentration of dissolved oxygen

9 hours ago, Good Year 71 said:

They only stay near if they have to acclimate to the concentration of dissolved oxygen

That is some good info right there which would explain why one place that gets trout around me has fish that hang around the stocking point for so long. From everything I’ve ever known trout need LOTS of oxygen.