How to stand out

DrewManFishing

It doesn't have to be dramatic changes like color or size of the bait. It could be as subtle as changing the depth at which you retrieve the bait, cadence, etc. Line size, hook size can also set you apart. Most guys throwing big baits are just chuck and wind guys. Make sure you are throwing at specific targets like weed lines, humps, etc. Its not just throwing a big bait, its so much more. So set yourself apart by the small (big) things. Time of day, feeding windows, trout plant days and areas. It all adds up. 

18 minutes ago, Fallof74 said:

It doesn't have to be dramatic changes like color or size of the bait. It could be as subtle as changing the depth at which you retrieve the bait, cadence, etc. Line size, hook size can also set you apart. Most guys throwing big baits are just chuck and wind guys. Make sure you are throwing at specific targets like weed lines, humps, etc. Its not just throwing a big bait, its so much more. So set yourself apart by the small (big) things. Time of day, feeding windows, trout plant days and areas. It all adds up. 

Thank you. This helps a lot

17 minutes ago, FishDr said:

You could try creating your own "bait ball" with an A-rig - maybe with a Hudd or similar bait as the center bait and then some smaller boot tails on the preiphery.  Could be a beast to cast but that way you're showing the bass something different.

That reminds me about mike Gilbert’s “double rig” he throws. Thanks for the comment!

On 11/9/2021 at 3:21 AM, DrewManFishing said:

Seriously, when I got into swimbaiting I thought I was doing something different than everyone else. Come to find out there are just as many googans throwing swimbaits than there are dropshotters 

That's what all the cool kids do now. I was surprised to find out there are guys swimbait fishing who have never fished before. 

90% of dudes you'll see are following what they learned from 90% of the swimbait related internet content, a lot of the info out there is the same old stuff, a lot of is outdated, not saying it wont work, but if you're trying to set yourself apart try to be doing the complete opposite of that advice. Retrieve your baits at the highest speeds possible, fish areas that aren't visible from the surface, try baits with more flash, throw shad/carp patterns when everyone else is chucking trout, fish in the thick stuff, fish your hard baits down deep, etc.... Big fish are exceptionally in tune with their surroundings so you are correct, they have seen it all and they're incredibly wary, but remember that when they've seen it all, that doesn't mean they have seen it all fished properly or fished at certain depths. Those fish have seen 20 different 250s by the time noon hits, but of those 20 deps I'd be willing to bet all 20 were fished in the same 10ft column of water, and all 20 were probably fished at the same or similar cadence. Throwing things like a magnum spoon can also be effective for trout killers, it mimics the size and flash of a stocker well enough that even the most wary of fish might slip up and choke it down. Learn to play on their instincts and get weird with it, you'd be surprised what can work on pressured fish when you play outside the box a bit. Good luck beat em up. 

On 11/12/2021 at 5:37 PM, 253caster said:

Damn… went to like the comment, he must have deleted it…. :lol:

he uses swimbaits as clickbait LOL. dude also has vids that are titled, "does this 800 dollar swimbait catch fish!!!!" and its a hinkle shad... like bro what.... and also talking about kids that never fished and right away started trowing swimbaits all those kids are from people like westin smith the googans milliken and all the people that use swimbaits for clicks and likes. i have also seen a insta kid on here with 30k plus followers buying up motherships, hinkles and battles like nothing almost like if they have a infinite money flow to buy all these baits. 

On 11/9/2021 at 4:23 PM, SoCalBassBum said:

I have a few heavy weight conventional tactics I will go to but I still throw them on a LDC MH rod. With every YouTube and IG influencer on the swimbait game I’m just over it at the moment.

sometimes i want to buy a bait to actually use but some "influencer" used it and now i cant find it anywhere... i think every battles is going to get bought up and put on insta with a vid of the action and its gonna be like "FIRE SWIMBAIT" "THIS WILL GET SMASHED" then put on a shelf.

15 minutes ago, jp_midwest said:

he uses swimbaits as clickbait LOL. dude also has vids that are titled, "does this 800 dollar swimbait catch fish!!!!" and its a hinkle shad... like bro what.... and also talking about kids that never fished and right away started trowing swimbaits all those kids are from people like westin smith the googans milliken and all the people that use swimbaits for clicks and likes. i have also seen a insta kid on here with 30k plus followers buying up motherships, hinkles and battles like nothing almost like if they have a infinite money flow to buy all these baits. 

Same. Nothing but clowns blowing out our art form. Milliken is a "Not Allowed". Same as Westin. Y’all googan fans, go stick to your contenders. 

Do what others wont to experience what others dont.

I too fish the gin clear resivoirs here in southern california. For a while I was fishing 4 days a week open to close. I've experienced many unique scenarios and have had alot of opportunities. One thing I did learn is that every day is different. Any and everyone has an opinion on how to catch bass... its up to you to create a style that works for you and fish baits line and hardware that works for you.... Fish new, fish the conditions dont arrive expecting what to throw. Have your set arsenal and decide what will work best based on ALL your conditions. Now as far as how to be DIFFERENT than 99% of all the others, this will take an inventive mindset and alot of tinkering and hard work.  Dont fish typical baits everyone else uses even if its "proven", dont use hardware everyone else uses, dont use colors everyone else uses dont fish cadences everyone else fishes dont fish depths everyone else fishes. Dont go out with a hunter mindset. You are the PREY put your bait in sticky scenarios in trees, rock, tires, dumb areas a prey item would get funneled into. To start Fish your bait on lighter line that shiny 250 you have isnt doing you any good on 30lb mono that hudd isnt doing any good on 25lb mono... especially in GIN clear water. Fish light flouro or light mono that blends in best with your water. For me thats maxima ultragreen or seaguar abrazx. Now for your bait! Quit watching social media and youtube as a form of providing you with a sense of direction or knowledge. It will get newbies a handle on the basics but if you want to catch fish nobody else does and stand out why do or listen to what everyone else is doing? Sure you will catch a fluke 8-9 lber maybe even 10 but quit following the crowd when it comes to bait selection. Pick baits that FIT your style of fishing. Get them painted different colors. As much as some say color dosnt matter ive personally experienced fishing klash ghosts not getting bit all day in my milk run then following up later same approach wild color and boom! Like a light switch they bit. Be different natural is the new UNNATURAL. Everyones throwing a trout scheme everyones throwing a bluegill scheme. In conventional its always been about making your bait stand out flashy spinner bait blades flashy rattle traps loud colored topwater or plastic worms. Swimbaiting for a long time has been about "matching the hatch" but honestly with thousands of trout and your bait looks identical to all the trout whats gonna make the big lazy obese bass eat your bait over another trout who is in a more prime spot doesnt have line or hooks attached to it etc. Whats gonna make a bass eat your natty 250 over billys 10 yards away? Another thing is hardware everyone uses split rings maybe figure out a way to not use split rings, use smaller hooks use less hardware on the line tie imo no need for snaps swivels or any of that extra stuff. Use lighter line etc. Remember change your cadence, change your color, change your hardware and change your angles. Change the way you think, dont follow traditional verbage or methods as a guidline to fish a swimbait. I could go on for hours lol but ima leave it there as a start lol.  

These are the threads that make me very appreciative of living in the North East. Sure we dont have many double digit bass, but the freshwater fishing pressure is so much lighter. And the swimbait exposure is significantly less.

12 hours ago, 168 Rookie said:

^^^same here in the Midwest. Some of the Cali horror stories about pulling up to a spot and seeing ten guys all throwing Hudds and 250s, yeesh, makes my skin crawl. 

This is the weird part. I aint saying I was on a forefront because I wasnt. Back in 2010 i would say the swimbait scene was just about to take off with big name companies ramping up affordable baits. Couple years before that i got into it wanting to do something different than anyone else to target a fish of a lifetime. Now everyone knows about it and does it. 

If the lake you are fishing allows private water crafts then maybe you should consider investing in either a float tube or a kayak. I am not an expert, but this way you won’t have to be shoulder to shoulder with other anglers on da bank.

Bonus points for standing out: Get a Hobie PA14 360

Edited by slobaru_