Anyone target trophy Squaw Fish(Pike Minnow)

BayAreaAngler

Since I haven’t been able to catch a bass(as of lately) I’ve been trying to target other species with swim baits. Is it possible to target squaw fish with glide baits? Or paddle tail swimbaits? I live in the 530 area any tips would be greatly appreciated. 

Danny rago has some gaint squawfish that were 12 plus pounds.  All caught on swimbaits one of them was on a rat even.   I had one about 6 pounds following my 9.5 alpha trout that got wash out in one of the bass ponds I fish.    They eat swimbaits I don't care to catch them.  They fight hard  at the beginning but I feel like they kinda give up pretty fast.  

42 minutes ago, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

I've always seen them eating off the bottom lol get a lot in the river by my house. They seem to school up and hold in the shallow riff raffs along with the sucker fish .

Yea I might try dragging some big paddle tails around the Sac river tomorrow 

24 minutes ago, basssavage24/7 said:

Danny rago has some gaint squawfish that were 12 plus pounds.  All caught on swimbaits one of them was on a rat even.   I had one about 6 pounds following my 9.5 alpha trout that got wash out in one of the bass ponds I fish.    They eat swimbaits I don't care to catch them.  They fight hard  at the beginning but I feel like they kinda give up pretty fast.  

Sweet I’ve had them eat rats before but I’m thinking a K9 or TK. And some big 6-8” paddle tail baits. All I can do is try lol

7 hours ago, chevro1et said:

No stripers? Not hating on your targeted species, just curious. 

I almost never fish for them but people out here say it’s seasonal so there’s almost “no point” in trying rn cause they run in spring or summer. I always felt like this isint true but I don’t see anyone else out there targeting stripers rn so must be true I’d think? And I’ve had big ones crush kast masters and chase keitechs 

1 hour ago, FishDr said:

I caught a few in the Delta using conventional gear for stripers and largemouth, but where I targeted them the most was in rivers like the Pit and the Sac near Red Bluff - they’d pound spinners and spoons and streamers. Fun fish to catch, especially on lighter gear.

I’ll be fishin sac river near Chico 

3 hours ago, BayAreaAngler said:

I’ll be fishin sac river near Chico 

There should be a few around - I've not fished that stretch of the Sac, but I've caught them lower down and higher up.  I'd use colors that match the local trout, and stick to 5 - 7" lures.  Target any likely ambush spots - in my experience, pikeminnow are true to their name and like to sit in classic ambush spots in rivers like eddies, undercut banks, around big rocks, etc.

Good luck!