Question for the teen swimbait fishermen

young swimbait chucker

I am 17 and have been swimbait fishing for a bit now. My dad used to fish tournements back in the day but he is done with those now. He hates swimbaits and i mean hates and hates that i fish them. He says what most conventional fisherman say about swimbaits that they are too big and too expensive but my mom is fine with it so i wanna know what your parents say about swimbaits and how much you spend on them.

Sounds like your dad lost lots of money against guys throwing  big baits in his tourney days lol but not a teen but I'd say a good job pretty sure mom's gonna get tired of spending bill money on baits real fast lol Craigslist for side jobs maybe invest in a mower and hit the elderly folks lawns for a few bucks If you get snow maybe shovel snow for them ..recycle program if your city or state has one but I'd recommend maybe just 4 or 5 good baits that cover every level of the water column and go from there . A wake a glide a crankdown and maybe a couple soft baits . 

6 minutes ago, Loudsplashbassn_ said:

Sounds like your dad lost lots of money against guys throwing  big baits in his tourney days lol but not a teen but I'd say a good job pretty sure mom's gonna get tired of spending bill money on baits real fast lol Craigslist for side jobs maybe invest in a mower and hit the elderly folks lawns for a few bucks If you get snow maybe shovel snow for them ..recycle program if your city or state has one but I'd recommend maybe just 4 or 5 good baits that cover every level of the water column and go from there . A wake a glide a crankdown and maybe a couple soft baits . 

lol nah my dad fished back when swimbaits were hardly even a thing. He ran a small bait company called dixy jig works were he made jigs spinner baits buzz baits and chatter baits so ofc hes like you get free baits why are you spending hundreds on baits which i get but i always tell him its just what i love to fish. Also i don't make my mom or dad buy anything unless its christmas like this year i asked for an ldc white lable xh. I have a job and buy most of my fishing stuff

I'm 19 now, but I've been fishing big baits since I was 16. My parents always thought it was a little silly, especially my dad who refuses to spend more than $5 on a lure. Of course when I started catching bigger fish than him all the time he started to understand but he still thinks it's dumb. I personally bought most of my baits, but I would always cap my annual spending under $100 until recently

stick with the proven baits. you don't need many baits just 4-6 which cover all the water columns. a wedge tail, boot tail, glide, multi-joint, and a wake should cover all the bases. 

Too many people nowadays put emphasis on baits. It is more about spot, technique, timing, positioning, knowledge of the body of water, etc.

Edited by billthebasser

i'm 17 too, I was lucky enough to have a job when I was 14 so I had a little money to spend on fishing gear. My parents still don't understand the expensive gear but as long as it's my money they don't care too much.

18 minutes ago, billthebasser said:

stick with the proven baits. you don't need many baits just 4-6 which cover all the water columns. a wedge tail, boot tail, glide, multi-joint, and a wake should cover all the bases. 

Too many people nowadays put emphasis on baits. It is more about spot, technique, timing, positioning, knowledge of the body of water, etc.

I agree with this i've been fishing swimbaits for approaching 2 years and I still have like 10 baits, but I am confident fishing every single one of them.

48 minutes ago, willlliw said:

I agree with this i've been fishing swimbaits for approaching 2 years and I still have like 10 baits, but I am confident fishing every single one of them.

I am mostly intersted in glides i have  a k9 now but want to get a deps 250 and  a hinkle shad eventualy

Some advise from an old guy.

Get of the f'ing internet........

Seriously, concentrate on fishing, learn the basics and then grow from there to the style that best fits you. Ten people giving advise will not help you and if things work for others that dosn't mean it will work for you.

Get one got set up start with something like the older gloomis GL2 swimbait rod and a 300 size reel, pline original PF line.

Baits keep them simple like a Hudd 68, Yunique gill, G2 shellcracker, TT 6" or 8", toxic wake and crank, and Deps 175 or 250. Do not pay much attention to the brands I listed, they are all similar so a couple rubber, crank down, swimmer, wake, and glide will do.

Take these baits to your waters and figure them out and catch some fish. The fish do not care if someone on this board or another social media is catching fish, if the rod is 7'-11" or 8'-0", if the reel handle matches the reel, what stickers that you have on your tackle box, what color braid mono floura you are using, if your shirt, pants, and hat have the same swimbait brand on them, and the hype of magical baits.

Time on the water,

Brian

1 hour ago, young swimbait chucker said:

I am mostly intersted in glides i have  a k9 now but want to get a deps 250 and  a hinkle shad eventualy

i've fished the fake TKs i'd like to get a k9 at some point. I just ordered a baitsanity explorer as a stand in for a 250 to see how I like a true big glidebait

I have been fishing swimbaits for a good bit now but I have only quite recently gotten into the su community/Instagram/Facebook ect. And that’s where I found all these super cool swimbaits I have never seen before. As a young immature idiot who works a full time job I was spending wayyyyyy to much on a weekly basis and what really neededs to be taken into consideration is that you don’t need to have every piece of eye candy you see. You need to budget yourself and be strict about it if you see something you want but it’s a little over your budget sell some of your baits to make up the difference  bc life isn’t just fishing. I wish it wasn’t but you need to be able to take care of yourself and others so don’t go broke lol 

Just now, Bassinasasin said:

I have been fishing swimbaits for a good bit now but I have only quite recently gotten into the su community/Instagram/Facebook ect. And that’s where I found all these super cool swimbaits I have never seen before. As a young immature idiot who works a full time job I was spending wayyyyyy to much on a weekly basis and what really neededs to be taken into consideration is that you don’t need to have every piece of eye candy you see. You need to budget yourself and be strict about it if you see something you want but it’s a little over your budget sell some of your baits to make up the difference  bc life isn’t just fishing. I wish it wasn’t but you need to be able to take care of yourself and others so don’t go broke lol 

Ps you shouldn’t tell your parents/spous what you spend on baits lol

2 minutes ago, bassbass said:

Some advise from an old guy.

Get of the f'ing internet........

Seriously, concentrate on fishing, learn the basics and then grow from there to the style that best fits you. Ten people giving advise will not help you and if things work for others that dosn't mean it will work for you.

Get one got set up start with something like the older gloomis GL2 swimbait rod and a 300 size reel, pline original PF line.

Baits keep them simple like a Hudd 68, Yunique gill, G2 shellcracker, TT 6" or 8", toxic wake and crank, and Deps 175 or 250. Do not pay much attention to the brands I listed, they are all similar so a couple rubber, crank down, swimmer, wake, and glide will do.

Take these baits to your waters and figure them out and catch some fish. The fish do not care if someone on this board or another social media is catching fish, if the rod is 7'-11" or 8'-0", if the reel handle matches the reel, what stickers that you have on your tackle box, what color braid mono floura you are using, if your shirt, pants, and hat have the same swimbait brand on them, and the hype of magical baits.

Time on the water,

Brian

Lol i didn't really post this for advise i posted it to see if other younger swimbait fisherman have had the same experiences as me when it comes to parents lol i do apreciate the advice tho i have spent a lot of time ishing and learned what i like to fish. I know its not all about all that. I hate seeing people that care more about how there setup looks and all that.

5 hours ago, young swimbait chucker said:

I am 17 and have been swimbait fishing for a bit now. My dad used to fish tournements back in the day but he is done with those now. He hates swimbaits and i mean hates and hates that i fish them. He says what most conventional fisherman say about swimbaits that they are too big and too expensive but my mom is fine with it so i wanna know what your parents say about swimbaits and how much you spend on them.

They are happy that I enjoy it, but I have a job to pay for it. They are also very skeptical about the price, but don’t care because it’s my money. I think that if you can prove that they get bit to them and that you are truly in love with the technique that it might rub them in the right way. I had to secretly order my first deps 250 because they didn’t want me to drop 180 on a bait, but they now let me buy them if I want to because I’ve proven that it’s what makes me happy. Also I’m 17.