Best way to make a soft tail mold for hardbaits?

iboothroyd94

I’ve been making hard baits and just purchasing soft plastic tails (Sherpa replacements) for them but am looking to make my own tails going forward (using dead on)

I have the dead on featherlight and a wooden prototype tail ready to be molded but can’t seem to find any information for making a mold for soft tails - is there an easier way to mold it other than going through the same process as molding a full bait? i.e. making a 2 piece using clay and silicone 

If not, is there anywhere that sells larger replacement tails in bulk? I like the illude Sherpa tails but 3 for $10 is getting a bit expensive and I’d like to produce my own tails if possible. 

Thanks in Advance

-Ian

1 hour ago, iboothroyd94 said:

I’ve been making hard baits and just purchasing soft plastic tails (Sherpa replacements) for them but am looking to make my own tails going forward (using dead on)

I have the dead on featherlight and a wooden prototype tail ready to be molded but can’t seem to find any information for making a mold for soft tails - is there an easier way to mold it other than going through the same process as molding a full bait? i.e. making a 2 piece using clay and silicone 

If not, is there anywhere that sells larger replacement tails in bulk? I like the illude Sherpa tails but 3 for $10 is getting a bit expensive and I’d like to produce my own tails if possible. 

Thanks in Advance

-Ian

the easiest way ive ever seen was someone was pouring the plastic in a sheet tray to the desired thickness and then just cutting them out by tracing the master, i mean you wont get fancy scales or anything but if you want a cheap tail and want to test materials i dont think it gets easier than that 

18 hours ago, chefchris said:

the easiest way ive ever seen was someone was pouring the plastic in a sheet tray to the desired thickness and then just cutting them out by tracing the master, i mean you wont get fancy scales or anything but if you want a cheap tail and want to test materials i dont think it gets easier than that 

Thanks man, not a bad idea at all. I suppose with an exacto knife and a little patience it (hopefully) wouldn’t be too difficult to carve some small grooves too. 

Just make a 1 piece mold. Glue down master from side that goes in back of bait. I use straws as pour hole. Build small box around it and pour mold material. 
Cut it out from pour hole down sides a bit. 
Done deal 

2C226BD7-FA37-40C4-AA4A-34EEEC935DE4.jpeg

091EA277-FC73-48ED-8847-51783772C9DA.jpeg

A7A695BD-0EAF-4CB6-9630-30C1E9589EA9.jpeg

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2022 at 5:56 PM, Socalswimbait said:

Just make a 1 piece mold. Glue down master from side that goes in back of bait. I use straws as pour hole. Build small box around it and pour mold material. 
Cut it out from pour hole down sides a bit. 
Done deal 

2C226BD7-FA37-40C4-AA4A-34EEEC935DE4.jpeg

091EA277-FC73-48ED-8847-51783772C9DA.jpeg

A7A695BD-0EAF-4CB6-9630-30C1E9589EA9.jpeg

What material are you using for the tails?

I carve a master out of wood and make it two piece silicone mold. Then I use Vaseline as a mold release and silicone to actually make the tails. I have four different sizes and cut them down for each unique bait.  If you decide to use this method, make sure to seal the wood with polyurethane, are super glue or clearcoat, it will make the process easier.