D.S. Customz Glide Shad 8" and 10"

jkarol24

Swimbait Review: DS Customz 8" and 10" Glide Shad

Have a pair of newer glides to the market, the Glide Shads from DS Customz. These two resin glides are very similar in profile and construction, with the 10" simply being an upsized version of the original 8" iteration. The baits feature swivel hangers and color-matching soft plastic tails, and clean paint schemes (the 8" is DS paint, the 10" is Click-Bait paint). I also added some tracking stickers courtesy of Ross Spargur. The 8" version comes in at 3 ounces, and the 10" weighs 5 ounces. 

Starting with the 8" version on a straight retrieve, I noticed a hard thumping swim, with defined back and forth head turns. The bait turns about 45 degrees off center on each side before turning hard the other way. The bait straightens out for a split second, and then turns. The bait also maintains its depth, and doesn't want to rise to the surface. 

The bait shows off its stability by staying very upright and vertical on that straight wind, and is confirmed by the burn test. The Glide Shad had no issues on a flat out burn, with no rolling or blowout. There was also a surface disturbance present as I didn't allow the bait to sink before beggining the retrieve. 

Conversly, the bait showed a natural swim at a slow retrieve, continuing that 45 degree gead turn. The only difference is that the bait swam a little wider on each side before turning back over. This action was present at a pretty slow wind, but did lose action at a crawl. 

Adding inputs, I began with long and slow inputs with the reel, and was able to Glide the bait approx 2 ft on each side. The bait stayed upright with minimal body roll, and did not show any tendency to nose up or down. Due to its XSS rate, the bait can hang out at the end of those glides if desired also. I did find that if your slow inputs were a bit too firm, the bait would want to turn as opposed to Glide for distance, so pay attention to your inputs. Once you get the cadence down, the bait can be manipulated wide and slow without much issue. 

I sped the bait up next, begginging with hard reel chops (you can hear how hard I'm working the reel on video). Hard chops get the bait to turn and cut hard, and carry speed before turning back on the next chop.  The transitions are very tight, and I'd describe them as a cut as opposed to a loop. The bait does straighten out after the transition, and some distance can be achieved if desired. Again, no rolling or nose issues were found. I inputted chops of varying length, and also of varying cadence, to show a more erratic swim, but you can also get a consistent back and forth turn by using the rod tip to input action as opposed to with the reel. 

I threw the 10" Glide Shad next, and I will provide a shorter summary than above... this is because the bait swam generally the same as its smaller counterpart... 

Straight swim, burn, and crawl were all very similar to the 8". The 10" swam at slightly slower speed, and the width of the swim was proportionally greater. The thump back to the rod on the faster retrieves was also more noticeable. 

The slow wide glides were pretty wide, wider than the 8". The bait was slightly easier to control, but I definetly couldn't be on autopilot while working the bait in this manner... 

The hard chops were also similar, and the bait could be fished fast and erratic without issue. The rod tip bumps were not quite as consistent or easy to achieve, but all reel inputs were similar. 

I fished the Glide Shads on the new KGB Heavy (8") and Extra Heavy (10"), paired with Curado 300Es and 20/25 copoly. I did notice that the Glide Shads preformed best on a rod with a slower tip and moderate taper, so the KGB sticks were a nice pairing. These rods aren't easy to impart rod tip action with, but they do seem to improve the glide distance when utilizing the reel. I also fished the baits on my Leviathan sticks, and found that the baits swam similar, but were slightly less forgiving if I didn't impart the proper reel inputs. 

I hope you've enjoyed Today's video, and I appreciate your continued support. See ya next Sunday for another review! 

21 hours ago, Jim137a said:

I was lucky enough to get the 6.5” on his last drop and I’m patiently waiting for 8” to drop. 

Again, thanks for taking the time to put these reviews together.  

Is that your 6.5" Donald just put in his IG story? If so, I'm super jealous of the color you got!

20 minutes ago, pschueller said:

Is that your 6.5" Donald just put in his IG story? If so, I'm super jealous of the color you got!

That’s the color I just received.  Incredible the way the color changes / shifts.  

7654DEAF-6F37-463C-BCCE-0E5C808D93ED.jpeg

C23C7AAD-CCC3-4395-95A8-4D62861FB7D7.jpeg