Why the Slammer?

Aconway94

this may be crazy but anyone try and make a 7 inch slammer sink? if i could get it to suspend that would be a deadly bait! pause it or hell even let it slow rise in front of a piece of structure, that would get crushed!!

I may have some 9s with stone modifications

this may be crazy but anyone try and make a 7 inch slammer sink? if i could get it to suspend that would be a deadly bait! pause it or hell even let it slow rise in front of a piece of structure, that would get crushed!! 

I did, once, and ruined a 7" Slammer by doing so.  I carefully and temporarily added weight to a the Slammer using tungsten nail weights and drop shot weights until I could get it to suspend at a depth of 2 - 3 ft.  Then, when I was happy with its buoyancy, I flipped it over, drilled holes...and then stupidly epoxied the front weights in the back and the back weights in the front.  Whoops!  The lure does suspend, sort of, but the weight distribution (especially the overly heavy back) kills the action.  One day I may be brave enough to try again, but it won't be for a while.

I agree though, it would be an awesome idea - I've even asked Mike Shaw if he'd consider designing one but so far I've had no luck with that either.

I may have some 9s with stone modifications

wow thats awesome! any pictures?? think that would be more difficult cuz of the amount of wood. (thats what she said)

I did, once, and ruined a 7" Slammer by doing so.  I carefully and temporarily added weight to a the Slammer using tungsten nail weights and drop shot weights until I could get it to suspend at a depth of 2 - 3 ft.  Then, when I was happy with its buoyancy, I flipped it over, drilled holes...and then stupidly epoxied the front weights in the back and the back weights in the front.  Whoops!  The lure does suspend, sort of, but the weight distribution (especially the overly heavy back) kills the action.  One day I may be brave enough to try again, but it won't be for a while.

I agree though, it would be an awesome idea - I've even asked Mike Shaw if he'd consider designing one but so far I've had no luck with that either.

Hmm interesting! i have some old insert weights back when i tried to build plugs, was thinking of doing this!  hell maybe even a ton of suspend strips and dots!  theres gota be a way to do it!  cuz i know if this can be done it will be deadly!  new winter project. 

i dont fish my 7s as much so i wont be to upset about it in case i mess one up

i just covered the bottom of a 9in with a bunch of lead tape didn't do a thing haha. Cool idea though. i will get back to this once winter boredom really sets in. 

I haven't weighted  a Slammer yet but I'm  going to try it this winter. I have weighted probably over 100 Musky Jerkbaits and I'm thinking it's going to be a similar process with a Slammer.  It's very important to understand that since the lure is wood each one is different so you have to be selective and consider what you want it to do. Some lures are more buoyant than others so you're going to need more weight to get them to stay down. The best lures to weight are the ones that tend to go deeper without any weight. Then you add the weight with tape temporarily and put it  in the sink or bathtub and see what it does. Most lures I've weighted wind up with the weight being added to the top front of the lure and additional weight on the bottom in front of the first treble. That  makes it dive, and it will stay down longer. One you figure  out where to put it and how much weight to use you drill  a pilot hole then gradually expand the hole (be careful doing this, you can **** up a lure REALLY QUICKLY with a drill lol. Then you simply melt the lead, pour it in the hole, put it in cold water to cool   the lead down, let it dry, and epoxy over it. Then test it and see what it does. Some lures do exactly what I want them to do, others do some crazy stuff. I have one Bobbie Bait that rises  very slowly and when it rises it goes BACKWARDS and kind of wiggles side to side. Caught a lot  of fish on that one and haven't been able to get  another one to do that.... I have another one that just sits there after you jerk it and they absolutely blast it :). On the flip side I have a bunch of them that don't  work as well as I'd hoped - just know that going in. But the ones that work are deadly. Hope that helps.

I haven't weighted  a Slammer yet but I'm  going to try it this winter. I have weighted probably over 100 Musky Jerkbaits and I'm thinking it's going to be a similar process with a Slammer.  It's very important to understand that since the lure is wood each one is different so you have to be selective and consider what you want it to do. Some lures are more buoyant than others so you're going to need more weight to get them to stay down. The best lures to weight are the ones that tend to go deeper without any weight. Then you add the weight with tape temporarily and put it  in the sink or bathtub and see what it does. Most lures I've weighted wind up with the weight being added to the top front of the lure and additional weight on the bottom in front of the first treble. That  makes it dive, and it will stay down longer. One you figure  out where to put it and how much weight to use you drill  a pilot hole then gradually expand the hole (be careful doing this, you can **** up a lure REALLY QUICKLY with a drill lol. Then you simply melt the lead, pour it in the hole, put it in cold water to cool   the lead down, let it dry, and epoxy over it. Then test it and see what it does. Some lures do exactly what I want them to do, others do some crazy stuff. I have one Bobbie Bait that rises  very slowly and when it rises it goes BACKWARDS and kind of wiggles side to side. Caught a lot  of fish on that one and haven't been able to get  another one to do that.... I have another one that just sits there after you jerk it and they absolutely blast it :). On the flip side I have a bunch of them that don't  work as well as I'd hoped - just know that going in. But the ones that work are deadly. Hope that helps.

wow this is awesome!!! that backwards wiggle sounds deadly!!!  will have to check out which bait dives better. thank you for the info!!  

i know someone was a crazy as i am about this!! 

I feel like trolling a Slammer on lead core to get down to 25+ feet could be pretty deadly.

I wont be surprised one bit if the striped bass fishermen do this with good results. Probably catch trophy largemouth bass as bycatch while fishing this way.